Belief In God Plummets Among Youth

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jun 14, 2012.

1. i have often said that this is the last generation where belief in an invisible sky daddy will be the majority opinion. education and the internet is enlightening the minds of the younger generations,freeing them from religious superstition:

The younger generation is abandoning God in droves.

A new survey by the Pew Research Center finds that belief in the existence of God has dropped 15 points in the last five years among Americans 30 and under.

Pew, which has been studying the trend for 25 years, finds that just 68 percent of millennials in 2012 agree with the statement “I never doubt the existence of God.” That’s down from 76 percent in 2009 and 83 percent in 2007.

Among other generations, belief in God is high and has seen few changes in recent decades. Between 81 and 89 percent of older generations say they never doubt the existence of God, although the older the generation, the more likely they are to believe in God.

The chart below reflects the Pew survey’s latest findings.
    http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/06/belief-in-god-plummets-millenials.php?ref=fpb

2. This seems to correlate to Obama's polling data.

3. why bring obama into this? whats the point? i am putting you on ignore since you have demonstrated that you never have anything intelligent to contribute to a debate. you are nothing more than background noise.

4. education and the internet is enlightening the minds of the younger generations,
    -------------

Yo, ever read FB? what edjucated and elightned young people you toiking about?

God is a nuisance to them.....it's not that they've seen the light (yuk yuk)

5. Mercor

Mercor

Many youth don't understand that their basic rights do not come from the Government ,rights we are all born with, endowed by our Creator with certain unalienable Rights.
    Government is there only to protect our rights.

6. I agree.. Pew and Phew.

7. Mercor

Mercor

God will never abandon them.....

8. really?

"Meanwhile, where is God? This is one of the most disquieting symptoms. When you are happy, so happy that you have no sense of needing Him, so happy that you are tempted to feel His claims upon you as an interruption, if you remember yourself and turn to Him with gratitude and praise, you will be — or so it feels — welcomed with open arms. But go to Him when your need is desperate, when all other help is vain, and what do you find? A door slammed in your face, and a sound of bolting and double bolting on the inside."
    CS Lewis "A grief observed".

9. Arnie

Arnie

What a simplistic, self centered view of a creator. That is a stunningly ignorant viewpoint. I cant believe you posted that to support your argument.

10. you do realize that cs lewis is a famous christian author/apologist? probably not? you would have to show some intellectual curiosity to understand such things.

anyway, here is the story. cs lewis wrote many books about religon and god.even today christians use his books. then his beloved wife got sick and died young. in his last book ,A grief observed, he was faced with the reality that there is nothing up there and wrote that quote.

Publication Date: February 6, 2001 | Series: Collected Letters of C.S. Lewi
    Written after his wife's tragic death as a way of surviving the "mad midnight moment," A Grief Observed is C.S. Lewis's honest reflection on the fundamental issues of life, death, and faith in the midst of loss.

#10     Jun 14, 2012