Belief in God and Market Perspective

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by FredBloggs, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heh, heh, that's your opinion.

#51     Aug 1, 2008

2. An intelligent person knows the difference between personal experience and hard statistical facts and studies, Personal experience is worthless in determining statistical correlations. FAIL

I "feel/experienced" that X is correlated to Y, gets trumped by a simple spreadsheet that shows actual correlation.

#52     Aug 1, 2008
  3. Even if there was just one single universal religion, and therefore zero chance of mistakenly picking the 'wrong' faith... This entire concept is STILL hopelessly flawed.

Let's say the one universally agreed upon religion was Catholicism, for example. Since when does 'belief' alone sufficiently meet all your religious requirements? What about all those pesky obligations and restrictions one must follow in order to earn a blissful afterlife? Confining one's self to nothing but marital sex (and no masturbation either)- that alone is a massive burden to bear! Add in all the other shit like Lent & having to attend mass regularly, and there's just <b>no way</b> you can claim that <i>"if you have belief or no belief, and there is no God, your outcomes are the same."</i> One dude got to pound hot young sluts all his life, while the other was stuck with blue balls and a Bible.

And that's just if the universal religion was (relatively mild) Catholicism. Switch that to Judaism or Islam, and your list of restrictions & obligations becomes an even lousier buzz kill.

Jesus Saves... but Moses Invests!

#53     Aug 1, 2008
  4. jem

jem

You were the one who said you had facts - I never claimed I was not giving you anecdotal evidence.

Where are you studies saying non believers have higher iq's.

How would you even set up the study. Do we need IQ over 200 or over 130. You think I was cherry picking --- (which is was) what do you have.

#54     Aug 1, 2008
  5. Arrogance is believing you're going to live forever despite a complete absence of evidence. Pride is believing that there is an all-powerful god, despite a complete absence of evidence, and that he gives a shit about you.

#55     Aug 1, 2008
  6. Since 90% of all people on earth believe in god (defined as a creator of the earth and implying an afterlife) then logic will tell you that there is no correlation between belief and IQ. Admittedly, I'm sure that the 10% of atheists are within the top levels of IQ and education but there are far more believers in these top levels than there are non-believers.

I'll put it this way: I've met many intelligent & educated believers in my life, many intelligent but uneducated believers, and many low-IQ & uneducated believers. However, I have NEVER met an atheist who was NOT intelligent & educated.

#56     Aug 1, 2008
  7. <b>I'm</b> an uneducated atheist!

Hi! Nice to meet you. :D

#57     Aug 1, 2008
  8. #58     Aug 1, 2008
  9. mrbud

mrbud

Hebrews 9:27
    "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:"

Once man dies, his chance for redemption is over. There is no Spirit preaching to us afterward, it is appointed unto men once to die, and then the judgement.

By the same token, we receive Salvation in this world by the work of Christ,{PROVIDING YOU ACCEPT HIM} and are thus judged perfect. There is no second chance at Salvation. This is also made clear in the parable of Lazarus as Christ explains that there is a great gulf fixed (luke 16:26) where it is impossible for the redeemed to pass from one side to the other, or vice versa. Thus if we die unsaved, that is the condition which we will spend eternity in.

No second chances. You must accept Christ before you die.

#59     Aug 1, 2008
  10. That's O.K: somebody has to be on the tail of the bell-curve.

#60     Aug 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.