Belief in God and Market Perspective

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by FredBloggs, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50_Bip

50_Bip

Wow, there are some real hum-dinger posts on here. Why do people feel the need to get emotional and self-righteous when it comes to religion??

#41     Aug 1, 2008
  2. The self-concepts fight each for his unique identity. Religion is mosly a cover for keeping false self-concepts from ever awakening to the truth about themselves. Battle is a potent magical formula for preserving what are really insane concepts. War establishes the unreal as "real". After all, who would fight for what was not real? So there is emotionalism on that front.

When self-concepts are faced with the truth, there is also emotionalism running high because the self-concept is virtually threatened insofar as its alleged existence. It comes to learn that it must "lay down its life, that it may take it up again". Self-concepts are confused and don't understand how much they are sacrificing to maintain their littleness. Magnitude is the death of their littleness, so there is a lot of unconscious resistance which comes up with all kinds of tricks to delay the day when the self-concept must "die".

There are no unique identies in reality. All are the same, omnipotent, perfect, having everything, being everthing. The world expresses the opposite of that.

Jesus

#42     Aug 1, 2008
  3. ammo

ammo

are those your words or his,sort of twisting things around here for your own edification

#43     Aug 1, 2008
  4. god belief and intelligence is negatively correlated. ( an easy to research fact) What does that imply for trading? If you believe intelligence and trading success is correlated, then god belief doesnt bode well.

#44     Aug 1, 2008
  5. jem

jem

I am also sure mis inflated self worth is not corellated with God belief.

I have met some pretty successful people in church including a few presidents of publicly traded tech companies. My mom has seen the most successful founder of a tech company in that same church. (In Rancho Santa Fe.)

The church next store is also filled with some very smart guys. I went to a bible study there once and was amazed by the accomplishments of the surgeon leading it. I recognized a bunch of people there as business leaders.

I agree there is a whole class of academics and democrats who enjoy feeling superior to people who believe in God. But, successful people - I do not think you have the stats for that. My anecdotal evidence is pretty strong. Not that it really matters. I would rather be ignorant and saved than smart and dead. Of course there is nothing wrong with smart and saved.

#45     Aug 1, 2008
  6. olias

olias

You use the word 'fact' rather loosely, I would say.

"Studies comparing religious belief and I.Q.
    In 2006, a self-published non-peer review study was undertaken[3] to investigate, on a country-by-country level, the possibility of a link between the importance of religion to citizens and their average IQ. The study found that the strength of religious belief in countries was inversely related to their average IQ. The countries with higher IQs on average had significantly lower levels of religious belief than those with lower average IQs. The study has subsequently drawn criticism[citation needed] for neglecting the influence of several critical confounding factors, such as the work of religious institutions in deliberately focusing missionary work in third world countries where educational opportunities are concurrently poor."

#46     Aug 1, 2008
  7. typical cherry picking garbage jem
    If you look at the whole body of evidence, not one study, or a sample of personal friends (really stupid evidence), its clear there is a negative correlation

But im sure you dont want to do that homework and discover the truth

#47     Aug 1, 2008
  8. Try to think of it as twisting the twisted back around for your edification. I am simply giving credit where credit is due for the foundational truth which supports the revelations, meanings and interpretations I am offering you. It's easy once you "get it". It's just a matter of doing your "homework" ahead of time.

I understand well that there are many who teach and preach in "my" brand name. Many, if not most, dishonor and decieve. Few teach, uh, in my name. :) That does not make it inherently truth, but it indicates an understanding of the basic lessons:

1. All is one, regardless of the appearances of aliases.
    2. In the Sonship, all accomplishments are shared.
    3. Each has a role to play in salvation equally indespensible to any other role. This converts the idea of specialness [the problem], into a solution, making the concept meaningless long term.
    4. Jesus taught potently through parable and parody.
    5. There is really only one Teacher, same as taught Jesus. That One is "the Master".
    6. The big picture issue is about identity crisis [Self-denial] vs. Identity acceptance.
    7. There is one Identity for all.

With this understanding, these "scriptures" stand on their own authority, for your acceptance [and edification] or rejection [and entertainment]. The truth stands on its own. "I" do not need announcement or fanfare or 300 prophecies from a dozen dead prophets to back me up. Never did. The brand name facilitates the transfer, making it a whole lot easier. My burden is light.

These messages are for the messenger first to understand and accept. The willingness to share the messages invites more messages to come. It is a joyful process except when stu ruins everything. :D

What matters is, am I officially fulfilling "my" role? I make no claim on that as yet. There are two possible things happening here: A.) Time is saved B.)Time is wasted. Either way its ok since there is no condemnation in Christ, ever. Let's just say the table is being cleared for a feast to be layed upon it, and the best is yet to come.

Jesus :)

#48     Aug 1, 2008
  9. As a 54 year old atheist, I can tell you through my experiences that there is no correlation between IQ and a belief in God, Jesus or other superstitions. I have known very many intelligent AND educated people who beleive in a supreme being. It puzzles me to be sure but, as the great philosopher John Lennon wrote: "Whatever gets you through your life is alright".

The biggest drag about reality is that 'bad' people are not going to be punished and I don't get to tell believers, "I told you so".

#49     Aug 1, 2008
  10. Haha of course belief in God is INVERSELY correlated with IQ.

It's something called arrogance and pride.

If you are smart, you often fall into the trap of thinking you know everything. Hence you write off the existence of God.

#50     Aug 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.