Being paid while learning the futures market

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Georgii, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Georgii

Georgii

Hello to everyone,

I'm fairly new to trading, I just discovered my love for the market a year ago and since then I've been learning non-stop.

I thought of short-term trading stocks for myself (intraday or swing), since that is what everyone usually knows at first when they get into the market. I don't have $25,000 to open an account, so I gravitated to the ES mini (for some reason I can't get myself interested in Forex). As I read about the ES I discovered the world of futures and commodities, and realized this is probably the place to be if I want to trade professionally.

In my readings, I've learned that the Larry Williamses and Richard Dennises of this world all worked near the pit where they learned the ropes, prior to getting into the game for themselves. I was also struck by the story of “Indy Jones” in “Millionare Traders”, another pit guy who ended up trading for himself and doing very well.

Going along with that thought, I'm thinking instead of hunkering down at home and trying to learn the futures market from books and paper trading, maybe its a better idea to work for an introducing broker or futures commodities merchant. This way I can learn the market well and get paid at the same time, then go off to trade for myself. I'm pretty sure I can pass the Series 3 exam.

My problem is that I have absolutely zero professional experience in finances, and while I have a college degree, its in the fine arts. I'm 35 years old and I live near New York City. Do any of you have any suggestions what kind of job would be suitable for me so I can learn trading while getting paid, i.e. being an associated person?

I've found a few helpful articles on becoming a commodities broker at about.com, and I also read "The Complete AP Handbook" online by Melinda Schramm, but I'd really be interested in hearing a trader's perspective, and any other links/resources you can provide. There seems to be so little info on the net about this field!

Thank you very much to all in advance!

- Gio