Being happy with life....

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Port1385, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Mav88

Mav88

ah yes, the real philosophers are here, ready to bear their machinery down onto the meaning of life question, I can't wait.

#41     Jan 4, 2009
  2. SawDr

SawDr

This may seem a little hokie but i look at this website every morning:

http://greatday.com/

The message changes everyday and best of all - as my buddy says " it costs free"
    :)

#42     Feb 19, 2009
  3. drcha

drcha

Yes, exercise. One contributor talked about running. (I loved running, but my joints don't want to do it any more) so I walk up hills, which does the same job at my age. I feel terrific after I finish and for the whole day afterward.

I also like alcohol and caffeine, both used sparingly :)

#43     Feb 20, 2009
  4. "what is the meaning of life?" is an invalid question, what if one asks "what's the meaning of darkness?"!?, why should there be a meaning, but in hard times the mind stops and thinks;

"why do i have to suffer? for what do i have to go through pain? why do i have to live these hard times?" and so the question follows "what is the meaning of life?", if no answer follows, then thoughts of suicide start to appear, but if an answer follows no matter how stupid, it is sufficient to keep the mind from meditating on suicide, and suggests to it to focus on the purpose

in easy, fun and happy times, the mind could care less about the "meaning of life", and if you ask someone who is happy inside, as to what the meaning of life is, you'll get an answer similar to; "shut up and get a life"

so it is not wrong to say; the meaning of life is, at each given moment to find a purpose to live for, and if there is already a purpose, to pursue it. Since this purpose is self created only to keep the mind distant from thoughts of suicide, it is not important what the selected purpose is, so long as it doesn't defeat the reason it was selected for. So for instance to say "I live to defend my country even at the cost of my life" is no different than to say "I want to commit suicide"

Note: I understand that the following question might arise in regards to my above statements; "If there is no real purpose and we only create it to keep the mind within boundary, why do so?" the answer only lies in the fact that 'the desire to live' is the strongest force within us, if you respect this desire, then it does make sense to create a purpose to keep the mind distant from focusing on suicide, but if you assume this desire too is rather bullshit and should not have been there in the first place, that is a whole different story, and it gives room to thoughts of genocide, mass murder and desire to destroy all things living

you will not find a similar writing in any book or article, but i do suggest you read it thoroughly as it supports your statement, that the purpose of life is ever changing

#44     Feb 22, 2009
  5. This is not a flame. Seriously. You should see a psychiatrist. Not everyone is "meditating on suicide". You just typed "suicide" five times in one post, which is about 2% of the words you typed. Scary shit. :eek:

#45     Feb 23, 2009
  6. I do not think there is any meaning to life. Unfortunately. But that's not to say you shouldn't enjoy yourself.

#46     Feb 23, 2009
  7. exactly my point, and you typed it two times within a paragraph that contains only 36 words

#47     Feb 23, 2009
  8. drcha

drcha

We make up our own meanings. There is no intrinsic meaning. Unless it is that advanced by the Monty Python movie, something along the lines of "take some vitamins, be nice to your mum..."

#48     Feb 23, 2009
  9. Nice to see you are still "with us". :D

#49     Feb 23, 2009
  10. We could substitute the word self destruct for "suicide". A person could have it all, and although one may not contemplate suicide yet sabotage his own personal life , relationships and business because it has lost all of its meaning. He may still want to live but not "like this".

#50     Feb 23, 2009