Being happy with life....

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Port1385, Dec 26, 2008.

1. One thing i do when i lose that drive is i go back to my old job for a visit. I have put a lot of myself into trading and the stress will kill me and shorten my life if i keep it up for another 10 years. What do i do with myself is the question i have at this point. My approach from here on is to stay around for the fun of the game. See how that works out.

#31     Jan 2, 2009
  2. Cheese

Cheese

I like this answer because it is reductionist.

Successfully trading to make your fortune may be described in reductionist mode too. Where is the money? In the markets gyrations, the swings up and down (eg ES,YM, CL). You buy the upmoves and sell the downmoves sequentially. You are tapping into the source of big points. To do this you devise or adopt a sound methodology, thus creating a conduit of money flowing into your pocket continuously from the cornucopia of the markets.

But now look at the distractions, irrelevancies, tangents and delusions that festoon the threads of ET and pre-occupy the minds of most at ET.
    :)

#32     Jan 2, 2009

3. Well said, Port1385 :) Your thoughts, actions and words are appreciated and wishing you all the best.

New Year Greetings to you all.

#33     Jan 2, 2009

4. One of the better rewards in life is to help others. Some have called me foolish and others wonder why, it gives me the feeling of a 5 pt trade. To give blood is a great suggestion. Also it is good to hear that i am not a dieing breed in the "random acts of kindness" group.

Happy New Year

#34     Jan 2, 2009
  5. I think money and material goods do not make the person

on new yrs day I saw a homeless or mentally ill woman waling around nyc without socks or shoes ( barefoot )

that morning it was quite cold and I decided to put on two pairs of cotton socks with the outer pair being much thicker than the inner pair

upon seeing her I offered her my outer heavier socks

and also gave her $10

she thanked me and I thanked her as well

:cool:

#35     Jan 2, 2009

6. Probably the only correct post.

Life is a meaningless illusion

Once that realization sinks in, it makes living even more meaningless.

http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1409811#post1409811

03-24-07 02:36 AM

What is the point of it all?

From the cradle to the grave we all lead a miserable existence. Endless research has shown even the uber wealthy who have every need catered to, being the most unhappy. It's a endless cycle of a pathetic existence. The very essence of survival involves a endless toil of scrounging for food, then rest, and then another session of scrounging for food. A step up would involve the need to shelter our weak bodies from the elements. And then a step up would be the need to procreate as an insurance against old age.

Everything involves and revolves around the need to survive and exist as long as possible.

Why?

#36     Jan 2, 2009
  7. That was a kind act and indeed the right thing to do. However, I suspect the reason why the woman didnt have socks was because of drugs. She took them off probably in some type of drug induced stuper. I dunno.

There are many asses, jerkish characters and complete fools all around the city who are ready to put you down at the flick of a switch and think only in terms of themselves. Its, at times, difficult to do the right thing or the kind thing with such a cast of selfish, foolish characters.

Whatever reason the woman did not have socks, if you did not give them to her then she might have caught frost bite. It was the kind thing to do.

Meaning in life does not come from doing super-hero things, at least for myself. It comes from doing little things. I cant save the world, but I can help someone out there in some little way. I can also try not to let the jerkish, selfish, arrogant characters influence me into thinking otherwise about the right things to do or the kind things to do.

#37     Jan 2, 2009
  8. I absolutely & positively admire Sophists.
    Ignorance Is Bliss.

#38     Jan 2, 2009
  9. You gave her a WHOLE ten dollars AND a pair of socks???!! :eek:

#39     Jan 3, 2009
  10. If he bought her shoes, I would have been impressed.

But what if those socks get wet?

#40     Jan 3, 2009