Being branded "anti semitic"......

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jbtrader23, Sep 21, 2003.

1. I think the same could be said about any group. I believe one has the right to be proud of their heritage, but one can take it too far.

Besides, I am slowly learning as I get older that being Jewish is more of a cultural thing than it is a religious one. I always thought that it was just religion -- but it goes far beyond that.

#11     Sep 21, 2003
  2. Out of curiousity, I went to the ADL website. Their headlines are quite dramatic; "Europe is still anti -semitic", etc. Then when you read the article, you realize the sheer lunacy of the charges. Apparently, thinking jews have "too much power in business", means you're anti Jewish.

So, if you think Asians make too much money, does that make you anti Buddhism or anti Confucian? Talk about preposterous.

Of course there are those on the fringe that are anti jewish in Europe. But there are christian fundamentalists just as nutty in this country. Extremists in the mid west are anti gay (mathew sheppard), etc.

I know many Jews in real life, and I've yet to meet one that has experienced major racism or prejudice. Certainly nothing comparable to blacks or even the handicaped.

The ADL website makes it look like we are back in the 1930's and we all need to watch out.

#12     Sep 23, 2003
  3. They are both bad.

Stereotyping is a type of discrimination.

A group's relative social and economic success does not render it immune from the effects of discrimination.

#13     Sep 23, 2003