Beginner who needs direction

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ProveUwrong, Jan 11, 2002.

1. I thank everyone for their reply to my post. I want everyone to know that I am really 14. I can't blame someone for being skeptical about my post. I was brought up in an intense academic environment and truthfully only get along with people older then myself, which is one of the many reasons I'm attracted to the stock market. Thank you for e-mailing me on further information John. If anyone else would be willing to take some time and e-mail me or IM me it would be very appreciated. My IM is Edscruffy.

I would just like to add one thing. Some people who replied to the post labled me as boy. A boy is thought to be immature, which I am not. Don't underestimate me because of my age.
    Good Trading,
    Ed

#21     Jan 14, 2002
  2. from ProveUWrong
    "My dad taught me everything he knows on the stock market he used to be a trader on the floor"
    "A boy is thought to be immature, which I am not"

PUW:
    Since you are mature and already learned a lot from your dad about stock market. Can you please share some of what you learned from your dad? For me, I'm very interested in learning anything from who used to be a trader on the floor, not mentioning there is no monthly fee.

Thank you.

#22     Jan 14, 2002
  3. Commisso

Commisso Guest

Ed,

I think it is wonderful that you have a thrist for trading at such a young age... I was barely 12 when I made my first trade (10 years ago)... It is said that a first step can lead on to a journey of a 1,000 miles and so it went for me... I traded all through highschool, and when I graduated I began to trade my own account for a living... I have been trading now full-time for 3 1/2 years and have LOVED every second of it...

What in particular would you like to know?
    How far does your education go?
    Are you planning on trading any time soon or do you just want to educate yourself?

I'll help you in anyway I can, maybe the best thing to do would be to come up with some specific questions and post them here for all to give you their input...

PEACE and good trading,
    Commisso

#23     Jan 14, 2002
  4. ddefina

ddefina

I finally developed successful systems after using a probability approach to trading vs. indicators, and a goal of achieving a 2 to 1 ratio of wins to losses. This 2 to 1 ratio seems to be the magic number for both daily and intraday trading. When successful traders publish their results it always seems they have this ratio inherent in their stats. The next step is to get a good win/loss record of merely 40-50% and you will make money. An unbiased approach (long/short) is a must too. I've found mastering the exit strategy (to achieve 2 to 1) is much more important than the entry method. Good luck.

#24     Jan 14, 2002
  5. neo_hr

neo_hr

@ Ddefina and Comisso,

Guys, I know its a LOT to ask but would anyone of you PM me just one simple method, system call it whatever you like (it doesnt have to make a lot of money, ) id just like to see how to start making a frame or something to put my endless analisys hours into.

Thanx and Ed, keep up the work, I got interested at your age, reading Richardson, Soros etc.... man was trading far away back then or what?! And look at me now :D yup, near breakeven point but that s something right?!

Best to you all
    Alex

#25     Jan 14, 2002
  6. Commisso,

Thanks for offering me some help. There are some questions you could answer for me. First, What graphing analysis software should I download? People have been telling me I should start looking to see patterns in fluctuations of high liquidity stocks before their price underwent a noticeable change. Second, a general question, where should I begin. I can't start to actually day trade because of my brokerage account size, but I am willing to educate my self to any extent. Thanks for all of your help.

Good Trading,
    Ed

#26     Jan 15, 2002
  7. trdrmac

trdrmac

For what it is worth, Silicon Investor has some great, free, stock screening, charting, and portfolio watch list services.

#27     Jan 15, 2002
  8. neo_hr

neo_hr

#28     Jan 15, 2002
  9. If you really want to get a head start, spend a bit of time learning a programming language like Visual Basic. Even if you don't end up trading, you'll be amazed at what you can achieve with a few basic programming skills and some ingenuity...

#29     Jan 17, 2002
  10. bucephalus:

Can you expand a little bit more about how programming skill help trading? Thank you.

#30     Jan 17, 2002