Beginner Options questions

Discussion in 'Options' started by retire45, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Thanks!

#11     Aug 19, 2007
  2. spindr0

spindr0

With an option pricing formula, you can determine precisely what the price of the option will be after a 10% move. All you need is the amount of price change, days elapsed, and future implied volatility ... plus a small adjustment for the bid/ask difference/ These are all just a coupla minor details needed on the way to getting rich :D

#12     Aug 19, 2007
  3. Are you the spindro who knew the putz on yahoo?

#13     Aug 19, 2007
  4. Thanks for the detail..
    I always knew the tantalizing nature of options.. I wonder where the volume was? I have noticed there is usually volume in a limited number of strikes.. Also wonder who would have sold those 80 puts! It was literally a no-brainer trade against the seller.. FWLT was NOT staying above $100.

#14     Aug 19, 2007
  5. ssmegner

ssmegner

OTM options is a suckers game. Read Cottle's book. He was one of the founders of thinkorswim and while not a beginners book is probably one of the best single resources available.

#15     Aug 19, 2007
  6. spindr0

spindr0

LOL. Yes, I have an advanced degree in Yahoo Putz! :)

And who would you be?

#16     Aug 19, 2007
  7. spindr0

spindr0

Near and somewhat OTM (out of the money) options tend to have more activity than ITM. And it may have been a no brainer trade not everyone is as competent as you :)

Also, there are more complex option strategies than simply buying options. If you understand covered calls, the mirror image strategy would be short the stock and short the put. In such a position, the seller could be the other side of your OTM put purchase yet both of you are bearish.

Either way, make sure than you fully understand the options and strategies that you are considering as well as subsequent adjustments and money management. There is a tremendous allure to buying OTM options but w/o an edge, it's a losing game.

#17     Aug 19, 2007
  8. "Do you feel out of touch, no longer able to understand current events, options, common financial terms. Troubled by half truths and lies? You are not alone. Discover how thousands of Yahoo id's like myself posting on options message boards have learned to unlock the incredible POWER OF INSANITY! We are now able to offer for a limited time only Dr. Stunata's powerful book THE POWER OF INSANITY."

Ring a bell? :D

The Doctor is in. lol

#18     Aug 19, 2007
  9. spindr0

spindr0

A unit of cash, a unit of cash
    What an idea, it's so brash!
    Follow me, all you heathen
    Spend a year, hope to break even.
    Guard your stash, pray no crash
    Be like Monkey, be a horse's ash!

Greetings and salutations! :cool:

#19     Aug 20, 2007
  10. LOL!.. You guys sound like you've been to hell and (hopefully), back..

#20     Aug 20, 2007