Beginner Needs Reliable, FREE Options Information

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by JaneE, Jan 26, 2007.

1. timbo

timbo

I think the guru's want a piece.

comfortable with that?

#21     Jan 27, 2007
  2. JaneE

JaneE

For anyone looking for more good info, I just discovered that the OIC has launched a new website:

www.OICOptions.com

This site seems to be geared toward professional traders, but i thought some of you here might enjoy it.

#22     Feb 1, 2007
  3. This is a fantastic thread! I've been looking for the same info myself. I've already been to the OIC & CBOE sites, but I haven't visited the rest of the sites on this list. I've definitely got some surfing to do.

Also, if anyone else has any good sites to recommend, feel free to send them my way.

#23     Feb 2, 2007
  4. A few friends have been bugging me for a while to find them good free options info/sites. I've been putting them off for far too long (mostly because I'm lazy). But, after reading this thread, I thought I'd give these sites a try. Here's my rundown so far:

www.oicoptions.com
    This is a new site, as JaneE indicated, and it's designed for institutional users. Not too much here in the way of actual content. Also, not much here for beginners. New users are much better off sticking to their old site:
    www.888options.com
    You can't go wrong with this site if you're a beginner. Great basic and intermediate info here.

www.cboe.com
    What can I say? This site is the granddaddy of them all and still does a decent job of providing free content. However, I think some other sites are finally starting to catch up to them in terms of content. I'd like to see them make more Options Institute content available on their website.

www.iseoptions.com
    Not much here in the way of content, just quotes really. Most of their educational efforts seemed to be aimed at institutional customers, so this site's not very useful for beginners.

www.theoptionsinsider.com
    It's new, so it's hard to gauge this site accurately. I need more time before I render final judgment. However, I like what I see so far. They have articles from people who've actually traded options professionally, which is cool. The discussion board doesn't have the same traffic as this one, but it's new so give it time. You can get OIC and Value Line content here as well, which will save me a bunch of time in the future. I'll keep my eye on this one and give you a proper evaluation in a few weeks/months

As for the rest, well, I haven't had time for them, but I hope to get to them soon. There's only so much one man can do...:)

#24     Feb 5, 2007
  5. archon

archon

This is a great thread for options beginners! Lots of good info listed here.

Although I would probably take the OIC options site off your list. That site is primarily for institutional customers. I don't know how much a beginner would get from that site. But the rest of the sites on your list are great.

#25     Feb 15, 2007
  6. JaneE

JaneE

Just wanted to report back that I'm almost a month into my newfound options study and I've learned quite a bit thanks to all of your suggestions.

All of the sites on this list, from the various OIC sites to the CBOE & The OptIons Insider.com, have all been extremely helpful. I feel that I'm finally starting to understand this stuff. Thanks again for all your help.

#26     Mar 10, 2007
  7. Good for you, JaneE. You should take advantage of all the free tools that you can find, especially at the beginning of your options education. Sites like the OIC and Options Insider are a godsend for newbies like yourself.

Back in my day, I had to pay a boatload of cash to learn about these products. It's amazing how the internet has revolutionized this sort of activity. You "youngins" don't know how good you have it.

#27     Mar 15, 2007
  8. =============
    Janet;
    And for free info on stock & option trends;
    local library can order Big Trends,
    book by Price Headly. Timely title.

Personaly, i own a copy of book '' Big Trends:cool: ;
    and always get two[2] different option quotes ,
    since you wrote''reliable''

OptionsXpress and Interactive Brokers also give helpful , professional, free info to customers.:cool:

#28     Mar 16, 2007