[Beginner] Is there free data feed?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by jk90029, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Dear-

As a beginer, I know there is 15-min delayed data feed by yahoo.com and elsewhere.

As a strictly equity trader, I need 1-min or 5-min delayed data comfortably.

Recently I learned a little bit about selenium in C#.
    Reference is at

If I can web-crawling any website, may I get 1-min or 5-min data to store in my local PC?
    Selenium crawling is slower than API, but it can get ANY WEBSITE in the world.

2. CBC

CBC

How can u have 780 posts and still be a beginner?

No there is no free access to live or even 1 minute quotes.

Ur gonna have to cough up some cash. Which is only like $15 or something a month.

3. jharmon

jharmon

You are undercapitalized jk90029.

If you can't afford a realtime feed to trade your style, you can't afford to trade.

Seriously, come back when you have earned money elsewhere to fund your trading journey.

4. d08

d08

Actually not even that. With IB it's $1.50 per US exchange so $3 for NYSE and NASDAQ (AMEX isn't really relevant anymore). While I'm all for saving, $3 is close to nothing and asking questions about it is really rather silly.
    Besides, you can get live quotes from Yahoo Finance and Google Finance but they're only from BATS. Anyone who did any research would know this.

antiseptic and Kurt_From_RVA like this.
  5. CBC

CBC

Yea I thought about that however I hadn't been with IB for a while so didn't say. I thought OP was looking for just Data. Quite cheap.... why bother at all?

I wasn't aware about the free data from BATS. So TY.

6. I must be a beginner since I am NOT still aware difference between BATS and NYSE+NASDAQ+AMEX.
    Appreciated if someone show me related link.

Anyway I should agree that there is no free lunch. Probably IB's feed might be the cheapest which is less than $5 a month.

Or another choice might be making a trading logic which does NOT require < 15 min variation.

7. The amount of $15 a month is equal to $200 a year. For the next 50 years, 50*200=10K will be compounded over long time.

8. d08

d08

9. d08

d08

How is it compounded? Not sure you know what the word actually means.
    Money actually loses value due to inflation so in 50 years time, that 10K will probably only get you a bicycle.

Jones75 and wrbtrader like this.
  10. Real-time daa feed distributor has to pay exchange fee for every device connected to real-time data feed. Simply because of that you will not find it for free.

DTN IQ Feed is one of the cheapest. $75 per month it is not something a real-time trader should not be able to afford:
    http://www.iqfeed.net/index.cfm?displayaction=data&section=fees

It has some cons, but it is cheap and for begining affordable at least to try. Good data feed would start from $1k per month.

#10     Apr 20, 2016