Beginner in selling Bull Put Spread

Discussion in 'Options' started by Megane, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Yup, no problem. Always happy to help a fellow options trader (who is using them correctly, and not just to get inappropriate amounts of leverage ;))

#21     Aug 23, 2017
  2. Megane

Megane

I used ThinkorSwim but it's un unavailable for Canada. The only platform at a decent price for options in Canada is Interactive Brockers. All others are so expensive that it grabs way to much of your profit.

When I choose a stock, it is because I know this stock for a while because i'va been trading it and have a better feeling of it's mouvements. As for the strike I choose, I like to have 90%+ chances not being exercised and usually take 30 days or so.

#22     Aug 23, 2017
    viruscore1 and drm7 like this.
  3. Megane

Megane

I only trade with the money I actually have in that account which is a small portion (10-20
    %) of my total investment portfolio.

#23     Aug 23, 2017
  4. ironchef

ironchef

If you are so sure, why don't you just go long or short instead of doing a spread?

#24     Aug 25, 2017
  5. The one change you might consider is trading wider spreads with reduced number of contracts. This will reduce commissions and might improve slippage.

#25     Aug 26, 2017
    rtw likes this.
  6. Diagonals because of the low volatility? Thanks

#26     Aug 26, 2017
  7. No, just a long enough term market bias to where I could play them between earnings seasons. But I do open the longs optimistically on low volatility, and the shorts on high.

#27     Aug 26, 2017
    raf_bcn and trader42 like this.
  8. Megane

Megane

90% or more is the number I get in ThinkorSwim, I like to stay on the safe side for now and this is what I consider relatively safe for me. It might change in the futur, will see.

What about you, would you do those ones without spreading it ?

#28     Aug 26, 2017
  9. Megane

Megane

....might improve slippage....Whatdo you mean ? I guess my english is lacking here, sorry if it looks like a silly question !

#29     Aug 26, 2017
  10. Trading less number of contracts, you will likely lose less on bid/ask spread in sum.

#30     Aug 26, 2017