Begginer Question

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by jood, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Their prices are pretty much inline with everyone else. When comparing daily charts, keep in mind that oanda starts their daily bars on a different time than pretty much everyone else, so they look different on the first sight. Use smaller time-frames to compare prices.

As for them being small, if you go by the CFTC published capital requirement list, they seem to be a bigger outfit than most retail fx marketmakers. See:
    http://www.cftc.gov/tm/tmfcm.htm?from=home&page=mktfcmcontent

#11     Feb 6, 2007
  2. hi Pippi, you're definitely right...they're bigger than some other shops out there.

i think the CFTC financials for which you provided a link is a pretty telling tale...i'm glad you posted it.

anyone trying to figure out how big a market maker's book of business is can determine it anecdotally via the "Net Capital Requirements" column. the requirements generally get higher the more client capital/positions a market maker has on their books.

this is significant because the more clients/capital a firm has the more internal liquidity they have with which they can match trades before having to draw on their bank credit lines.

obviously one would want a firm that has the biggest pool of liquidity to draw on so that it increases the chances/quality of getting good pricing/execution.

"Net Excess Capital" though important only attests to how much money a market maker has above and beyond what is locked up for the "Net Capital Requirements". ideally, when shopping around for size you should look for a firm with a relatively high value for both..."Net Capital Requirements" and "Net Excess Capital". in this way, you know you're dealing a firm with good liquidity (due to lots of client volume) and financially healthy (flush with cash beyond what's required).

of the 3 bigger forex firms noted in that list (Oanda, FXCM, Gain), FXCM currently shows the larger amounts for both columns. this is in part is why i chose them for my primary account.

#12     Feb 6, 2007
  3. FXCM actually shows the lowsest numbers of those three firms.

#13     Feb 6, 2007
  4. What does Oanda define as scalping?

#14     Feb 6, 2007
  5. This post has gotten better. Pippi, where do you see that? I am wondering if you see something I don't. I see:

FOREX CAPITAL MARKETS LLC
    $12,430,298

GAIN CAPITAL GROUP LLC
    $5,037,373

OANDA CORPORATION
    $1,000,000

#15     Feb 6, 2007
  6. I hope you guys see what's going on in this thread :

the thread is started by jood(registered 8 january) ; first and
    only post

then we have Risktaker989 (registered 5 february) and awalkinparis (registered 31 january) ,jasoncartwright(29 january) who are supposed to be
    "satisfied clients" , who are NOT ONLY(check the rest of their posts)
    posting on this thread with very lenghty
    answers and explanations about how safe and good FXCM is and better than
    their biggest competitors Gain and Oanda.

Do you really think that "satisfied cusomers" are going to write pages with commentary ?

Here have a look at the "dealing" practices of FCXM

http://www.fx-analytics.com/videos/untitled/untitled.html

#16     Feb 6, 2007
  7. Nick see enclosed Photo :D

The Ever Watchful VIPER

#17     Feb 6, 2007
  8. TradeViper,

I never gave you permission to post a photo of me ? :eek:

#18     Feb 6, 2007
  9. I had no idea fxcm had a crew here !!!!

The Never Trading FXCM VIPER

#19     Feb 6, 2007
  10. hahaha...i'll take the last few posts as a compliment.

anyway, i simply gave my two cents and on a forum like this i'm entitled to share my opinion/perspective. my point is that i've had a good experience with this firm as well as another and you're entitled to disagree.

what i find curious is that you're so adamant to convince everyone otherwise...maybe you reprsent some other corporate interest yourself?

regardless, i respect your viewpoint and i leave it to other thinking people on this great forum to judge for themselves facts from fiction.

cheers and good trading!

#20     Feb 6, 2007