Bee Declines

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by infolode, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Without insects and pollinators the worlds eco-systems would rapidly fail. In about a year or so is what I have learned.

Good thread, scary topic.

#21     Apr 8, 2007
  2. I'm not afraid to be called a CTer!

Genetically modified crops are another product looking for a reason to exist. Sort of like microsoft and their Windows Vista. All kinds of hype and promotion over a product that looks like causes more problems than it's worth.

As far as GM crops causing the massive die-off of bees, it looks like it might not be the major cause, but I'm sure GM crops must be suppressing the bee's immune system as researchers have found. Add GM crops to the long list of substances, chemicals, insecticides, fungicides, herbicides, etc., to make them and all of US weaker and more susceptible to common infections.

Each chemical alone when tested on animals may not show harmful effects, but when several chemicals are consumed by the host, a synergistic effect occurs.

Take even two "natural" substances like mercury and aluminum. Experiments have been conducted by feeding rats enough of one or the other element at a low dosage to get 1% of the test subjects to die. Then feed the same low dosage of each of the mercury and aluminum together and no longer do you have 1% of the subjects dying, you have 100% dying!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_Collapse_Disorder
    At present, the primary source of information, and presumed "lead" group investigating the phenomenon, is the Colony Collapse Disorder Working Group,[4] based primarily at Penn State University. Their preliminary report pointed out some patterns, but drew no strong conclusions.[6]

Some researchers have commented that the pathway of propagation functions in the manner of a contagious disease; however, there is some sentiment that the disorder may involve an immunosuppressive mechanism,[12] not unlike the analog of HIV in humans, potentially linked to the aforementioned "stress" leading to a weakened immune system. Specifically, according to researchers at Penn State: "The magnitude of detected infectious agents in the adult bees suggests some type of immunosuppression."

http://www.celsias.com/blog/2007/03/29/european-bees-taking-a-nosedive/
    As far back as 2005, Haefeker ended an article he contributed to the journal Der Kritischer Agrarbericht (Critical Agricultural Report) with an Albert Einstein quote: “If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man.”

#22     Apr 8, 2007
  3. "No more man".
    Scary thought.
    Scarier still is that we might have had a hand in our own destruction.

Some strange mutant bacteria from too many Dr's prescribing Anti-Biotics for a virus?

Makes perfect sense to me. I have a Virus, Doc. Gimme something that kills bacteria.

:confused:

This dissapearing bee story caught my eye about 3 months ago.

Very strange indeed.

Anyone seen Rod Serling lately?
    (cue Twilight Zone theme here)

#23     Apr 8, 2007
  4. Not a theory.

Right now, Monsanto is working hard on getting third world agriculture dependent on its GMO "suicide seed". Highly resistant to pests, but does not reproduce. This way, every year the farmers have to keep paying Monsanto fees to get the next batch, instead of just letting the natural seed reproduce.

#24     Apr 8, 2007
  5. i am convinced it is GM shite; it never ever happened before....i heard people close to others in the biz saying the bees have been completely decimated.

#25     Apr 8, 2007
  6. amazing innit, they got the patent on nature now.

#26     Apr 8, 2007
  7. Drudge running a header -- no story linked yet. Fells like he's leaking from a Sunday paper.

ARE CELL PHONES WIPING OUT OUR BEES?

Look out NOK.

#27     Apr 14, 2007
  8. Scientists claim radiation from handsets are to blame for mysterious 'colony collapse' of bees
    By Geoffrey Lean and Harriet Shawcross
    Published: 15 April 2007

It seems like the plot of a particularly far-fetched horror film. But some
    scientists suggest that our love of the mobile phone could cause massive food
    shortages, as the world's harvests fail.

They are putting forward the theory that radiation given off by mobile phones
    and other hi-tech gadgets is a possible answer to one of the more bizarre
    mysteries ever to happen in the natural world - the abrupt disappearance of
    the bees that pollinate crops. Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that
    the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe -
    was beginning to hit Britain as well.

The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees'
    navigation systems, preventing the famously homeloving species from finding
    their way back to their hives. Improbable as it may seem, there is now
    evidence to back this up.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/wildlife/article2449968.ece

#28     Apr 15, 2007
  9. maxpi

maxpi

Europe was wireless way before the US but the bee disorder started in the US and spread to Europe? That does not point to wireless as the primary cause.

#29     Apr 15, 2007
  10. Go check out the local Wal Mart. Most the people in there could quit eating for a year and still be fat.

John

#30     Apr 15, 2007