Becoming Gordon Gekko

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Gordon Gekko, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bwahaha

who are you trying to fool?

#61     Jun 25, 2003
  2. kernan

kernan

What is sad is that you had people who wanted to help you, but your attitude probably drives (drove) them all away. I have been trading successfully since 1994. It is my sole source of income, and I live well. I am not saying that to brag, I am saying that to show that I speak from experience, and was willing to give you input and advice.

But, now you could not pay me to help you. Maybe you will figure it out on your own. Or, maybe you will find yourself at age 35, and posting on the ET board, asking about alternate ways to raise money so you can continue your trading.

I vote for the second option as what will happen unless you change your attitude.

#62     Jun 25, 2003

3. If you take the time to take the test - chances are there is a problem. :D

#63     Jun 25, 2003
  4. Harry123

Harry123

Hey Gordo, I remember posting on your last thread some very good advice. Its a shame your not going to listen to it..but hey I wish you luck nonetheless. I will say this...I am an independent successful trader with a large account. I look forward to adding your 17,000 dollars from your car sale to my stash in the future. Your the kind of kelp I love to feed off of in this ecosystem. See you back on the field the gloves are off this time. Good Luck!

#64     Jun 25, 2003
  5. Gordon,

My advice to you is to go forth and do that which you are going to do anyway, and then when you get there, that is where you will be at that time..

Good luck:)

#65     Jun 25, 2003
  6. This thread/story is like a watching a multi car crash with wreckage and bodies strewn all over the place...you want to turn away, but you always will end up looking :eek:

Hey, speaking of cars, what do you think of working at a dealership? :p (Don't laugh)

You could easily set your hours to work after 12:00 which leaves the morning to trade. There will be plenty of downtime at the dealership, so just bring your laptop or PDA if you want to watch the market.

Most dealerships offer some time of demo program so that will solve your car problem and unless you are socially retarded or grotesquely disfigured, you might be able to swing a grand or two a month.

You'll have to sacrifice your weekends, but what other "part time" job would offer at least the opportunity to make enough to keep you in the game.

Who knows, you may actually like it. A friend of mine that graduated from Babson and got his MBA got hooked up with a large dealership in the Finance Dept. He spent time on the sales floor, in management, and is now a partner and worth millions.

Stranger things have happened.

#66     Jun 25, 2003
  7. For some reason... Aphie's post is the most convincing...

Anyways...

I can see you're very hard working through your posts in Wealth-Lab's site and here...

But... let me suggest that you haven't hit the bottom yet... Because you don't know or seem to admit what you really did wrong...

Why do I say that?

Because you are still not expressive about yourself, despite starting this thread... seems like you're seeking to find an alternate reason to ignore your core flaw...

Well, just my 2 cents...

Sorry if I'm wrong...

#67     Jun 25, 2003
  8. Hey,

Cool Hand Gekko,

Have you decided what to trade? You gonna daily or intra?

And never forget,

"Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand" :cool:

#68     Jun 25, 2003
  9. do you have a rule based strategy that has been backtested. Or are you just winging it?

e.g.
    5 min bar close above high or previous 2 days go long on open of next bar.

initial stop $1.50 profit target $4.00

trailing stop close below 20 day simple moving average.
    (include slippage and commission) backtest for 1 year.

OR are you doing the old, this is the trend if it looks weak I will sell on a strong breakdown of trendline and hold for 2-3 points, close out quickly if position goes against me.

One of these can't be done and is similar to gambling, the other is possible and can be tested and improved on.

#69     Jun 25, 2003
  10. I meant points not $ I trade the ES.

#70     Jun 25, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.