becoming a trader!

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by darby88, Apr 16, 2011.

1. There are "proprietary" trading firms. With a deposit like 5k you can trade on your own. You keep all profits. You pay something like .07/100 shares to the firm (if you trade bigger size it is less). You basically learn to trade (on your own) as your own entity through one of these firms

you get

1) Leverage (some firms five you 20 to1 if you can handle)

2) training on some type of demo simulation. Or actual training

3) A platform that will allow you to get into and out of positions fast. Usually you can get into and out right on the keyboard. With many other benefits VS a retail trading type platform.

4) A risk manager- it should auto-closeout when you lose X on a bad day.

5) Experience trading (trial and error)

You can also get a job at a firm that will basically give you everything i mentioned with NO RISK. Plus true mentoring and support. This would be the very best way to learn to trade. You would need a good resume. Possibly math based type of resume that i think you have. i didn't not read your resume. Go search this site or the internet for PROP FIRMS (The real ones are the ones that require NO deposit. No money for "training")

If you get a job at a real prop firm then you are all set

GL

#11     Apr 18, 2011
  2. not many prop fims in ireland to choose from . And with money so scarce in the financial sector here at the moment you might be better off learning how to trade first. Check out iift.ie , its run by peter brown it seems to be a pretty reliable outfit .
    I've nothing to do with the outfit!!

#12     Apr 18, 2011
  3. DRW, Optiver, CTC, Wolverine, Infinium, Capstone, Peak 6, SIG...

#13     Apr 18, 2011
  4. darby88

darby88

thanks dude. i actually just got a phone interview with sig. and ive been called back to do a 2nd interview. bascally the same as the first but with harder mathematics questions

#14     Apr 18, 2011
  5. It sounds like you're very passionate about trading. My two cents are don't get carried away with dreams of quick easy money. The business is built around trades. That means that on any given trade somebody is going to win and the other person is going to lose. The veterans will screw the newbies out of their money. Just know that its not as easy as it sounds.

#15     Apr 18, 2011
  6. Would it be more correct to say that the noobies screw themselves out of their money?

#16     Apr 18, 2011
  7. jnbadger

jnbadger

Some people make it big. And the stats background is a plus. Give the guy a chance.

#17     Apr 18, 2011
  8. Market making firms like SIG are almost exclusively engineering/math majors.

#18     Apr 19, 2011
  9. darby88

darby88

good thing my major is engineering then...

i have an phone interview for 'jane street'

seems like is going to be tricky math problems.

anybody heard of them?

#19     Apr 19, 2011
  10. Yes, market maker, mostly equity options from what I understand.

#20     Apr 20, 2011