Becoming a Prop Trader?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by TrendFollower99, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Hello im planning on going to DePaul in Chicago and really love trading and the allure of the stock market. Ive been learning/practicing for 6 years now. Im at a community college right now. I have been trading real capital for 2 years with decent results 110% for 2 years. My virtual account for 6 years now is up 813% while the S&P is down almost 10%. I have read and studied trading alot but i know the more i learn the less i really know. I want to work as a hedge fund trader ,eventually, so proprietary trading is a good place to start. Can anyone advice me exaclty how i get the job? Ill be majoring n finance. Im not good with algorithms or computer programming im just good at trading.

2. There are several career websites you can check out for trading related positions, such as:

efinancialcareers.com

hedgefundemployment.com

If you're already a skilled trader, however, then you might try simply trading for a prop firm, but most will require a capital contribution. Then you can at least leverage your skills/capital.

Best of luck.

3. bone

bone

Honestly, I think that statistics is one of the most useful and marketable undergrad coursework offerings re: trading. Certainly one of the most applicable. Junior and Senior-level courses on Logic and Game Theory would also be worthwhile.

I have a couple hedge fund analysts as clients and it seems that good statistical modeling skillsets and a solid working knowledge of all the more popular canned software programs is the ticket. I'm referring to the progression of Grad>Analyst>Trader, because nobody's going to hire you straight away as a trader.