Beautiful Stranger’s Diet and Exercise Journal

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BeautifulStranger, Oct 14, 2020.

1. speedo

speedo

As a long time runner, a couple of suggestions. Go to a runners store as in those operated by runners and have them look at your running and walking gait as well as your foot shape. There are three types of shoes, stability, motion control and neutral. Knowing which is right for you can prevent injury. Also make sure you stretch, I do after a run after a run when warmed up and before my walk cool down but during a walk after a bit is good also. Upper and lower calf, quads and hams need to be stretched gently, don't make the muscle fight the stretch. Good luck and listen to your body, it will give valuable feedback. Most ignore the counsel of their bodies.

#21     Oct 15, 2020
    BeautifulStranger likes this.
  2. I would ignore BMI to be honest. Most athletes are obese by BMI standards.

#22     Oct 15, 2020
    HobbyTrading and CaptainObvious like this.
  3. speedo

speedo

Highly muscled athletes yes.

#23     Oct 15, 2020

4. really? a BMI of 18 to 24 is considered normal.

So someone who is 6'1 and is 195 is considered obese??? You don't need to be super athletetic and highly muscled to get there, walk around your gym and look at normal guys with muscle. How is someone 6'1" and 140 lbs. considered HEALTHY?

BMI is oversued and should not be a defining factor. Anyone with a BMI of 30 or over is clearly obese and BMI is not needed to see that anyway.

I play basketball with friends who are not fat and simply lift 2-3 times a week normally and they would be obese on these charts.
    [​IMG]

#24     Oct 15, 2020
    CaptainObvious likes this.
  5. speedo

speedo

I'm not disagreeing with you, there are more variables that go into "healthy" and "obese" than height and weight. eg, fast twitch muscle is more dense than slow twitch and the skeletal frame work of the person factors into how much fat vs muscle is "healthy" for an individual. That a highly muscled but highly fit athlete could be considered "obese" is simply an example.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    #25     Oct 15, 2020
    El OchoCinco likes this.
  6. why would i discuss something with someone who doesnt believe in the truth of the law of thermodynamics. There is no discussion to be had. If you are going to say hormone levels is "all that matters" you couldnt be more wrong.

Just look at the professor who did the twinkie diet. Most people do not have such hormonal damage that they cant lose weight. And even if they did, it would only make it slower to progress.

Either way, the law of thermodynamics cannot be broken. IDGAF what study you read because more than likely you didnt, or the person you heard it from, didnt interpret it correctly which is rampant nowadays for anyone who has access to the internet. Get a clue.

#26     Oct 15, 2020
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

What about marathon runners? Runners in general?

#27     Oct 15, 2020
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Allow me to commend you on your open mindedness and civility.

I am not discounting the Law of Thermodynamics. Just that you are not applying it correctly.

But you aren't interested in learning anything or even hearing anything other than that which you have already convinced yourself is true. So I wish you well.

#28     Oct 15, 2020
  9. Ok, will set up appointment with Labcorp and get a new battery for my scale.

#29     Oct 15, 2020
    Tsing Tao likes this.

10. Where does a marathon runner land on the BMI scale? I think you picked an example outside of the scope of my point but you already know the answer.

#30     Oct 15, 2020