Beating Larry Williams record

Discussion in 'Trading' started by sabena, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jem

jem

To Tony Oz

If you can afford Rancho, you should seriously consider it. I really enjoy it- when I visit my friends. Most of the people seem pretty cool, although some of the older types do complain that it is getting too n---- riche (I do not know how to spell new rich in french). I particularly like playing golf at Rancho Sante Fe Country Club. I never seems to be crowded in the afternoons when I get invited. You'll need to live in the covenant to be a member and therefore able to invite me in.

Now I also love the beach, I used to surf everyday until I started trading, needed glasses, and got one too many ear problems from bad water. It would be a tough choice, La Jolla, Del Mar or Rancho Santa Fe. I look forward to making the choice someday.

Although, after reading one of your posts it seems your neck of the woods isn't bad either. If you ever need information about the area, although I'm no expert, I know a bunch of people in Rancho Sante Fe so I can find things out. Good hunting.

#51     Mar 19, 2002
  2. TonyOz

TonyOz

So far this house wins my best of show award http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/Hom.../a&sid=07A1F99FFB8F4C13B02E049EE9B00FE&snum=1

http://media.homestore.com/HL3EWGWG.htm?_MLSNAME=GreaterSouthBay&_MLSID=S317765

Take the virtual tour. House looks a lot better when you are in actually in it though. Best design for breath-taking views I have ever seen.

Two problems:

1. I'd like it to be on the other side of the road :)
    2. Lot not big enough for a pool.

They are selling lots across the street with incredible views (click on the view link on the virtual tour, the lots are on the hill on the left side of the golf course), but there are some issues that I'm looking into before I buy one. Then I want to use the contractor who built the house above. If anyone lives in the area and has a chance to go see this house, do it! It is the most beautiful 5000 Sqft house I have ever seen!

Unfortunately, I can't get anything at the 2 Mil range that compares to this house (5000 sqft, unobstructed ocean view, 14Ft ceilings throughout. Ocean view from every room including the office ) anywhere in Newport or Laguna. So either move north or stay in my "shack" longer.

I can't remember the area in Rancho Santa Fe we went to but the houses we saw were in the 1-2 Mil on 2+ acres for 6000+ sqft.

Too many beautiful places in southern CA to pick from :)

Tony

#52     Mar 19, 2002
  3. BruceF

BruceF

Tony,
    Looks like a great house. I'm with you on the road thing. Besides interupting the view, you'll have the noise if it's a busy road.
    Don't forget, as a trader, you can live wherever you want. You just have to figure out where that is. (One of my current dilemmas)

Also, Lori, the ex-LPGA golpher that was at the table after the Online Trading Expo, said she really enjoyed your book. I think you made a very positive impact on her trading plans. :)

#53     Mar 19, 2002
  4. TonyOz

TonyOz

Now if she could only make a positive impact on my golf game :)

I agree with you on the "I can live anywhere thing" as long as they have BOTH Cable and DSL :)

I really enjoyed meeting you guys in NY. Looking forward to seeing you again next year.

Tony

#54     Mar 19, 2002
  5. vvv

vvv

hmm, i'd say that anybody who's turned 11k into 18 million ! ! !cannot be compared to somebody who wants to earn the rent from trading - entirely different ball game altogether...

what zanger did is absolutely incredible and can obviously only be achieved with volatile results - big ups, big downs, small ups, small downs, what do you want from life, no?

further, he's a trend follower, no trends, no big returns, but, at least on his model portfolios, he really hasn't lost all that much either in the last couple of years, has he...

no idea what he messed up with his hedge fund, but the thing with working with other peoples money is totally different anyway as practically no clients will be willing to accept the kind of volatility that goes hand in hand with achieving truely outrageous returns.

and while i don't think much of vendors, and practically nothing of those that talk the talk but are severely lacking in being able to back up even the smallest parts of what they normally outrageously claim in their marketing efforts, well, far as i know zanger is pretty much the only vendor who's ever provided proof in the form of an audit, and probably the only vendor ever who actually managed to earn some serious money from the markets themselves.

and again, people shouldn't go there thinking that he's going for a safe method providing you a nice steady income by going after singles, he's after homeruns, and that's where you get what you want. if you want to get seriously rich you won't do that by just playing safe. the price you'll have to pay for getting seriously rich, on the other hand, is a real danger of blowing up once or more times during your career.

you just get what you want from life.

sabena, if your goal is for real, then i wish you a lot of success and look forward to following your process.

#55     Mar 19, 2002
  6. If you look at his trades(I did) he made most of his money in that updraft in Dec 99. Anyone involved in that remembers that it was like printing money. All the bubble subsectors were in a sellers vaccum. I think he bet the ranch on QCOM(position trade) and we all know what that did.

hardly repeatable but more power to him for winning the lottery.

#56     Mar 19, 2002
  7. vvv

vvv

well ok, but i believe that when trading the exits are much more important than the entries, and he certainly did that just perfectly...

plus, apart from that hedge fund mess up of his, he subsequently managed to stay pretty much in cash in the ensuing bear, and as for hedge fund bust ups in general, well, he's in big name / good company, "tiger" robertson, steinhard, george soros / druckenmiller et al...

and how much you make is pretty much a function of position sizing...

i mean very many rode the bubble up, very few held on to anything...

he has a summary of the audit of his actual private acct on his web page, plus the trades of his model acct...

he had roughly - just had a quick glance so don't hold me to the exact numbers - 61 trades in '99, about 28 losers, at an average of $12,139, then 33 winners @ an average of $55,554.

take out QCOM that earned him $715,500 out of the total $1,833,310 '99 model acct, and that still leaves you with average wins of 34,931.

i don't know the guy from adam and have no involvement of any kind with him, but i'm just saying that very many had the same opportunies but very few managed to cash in, and of those that did, how many subsequently didn't go on to blow it all again in the markets?

i guess i'm trying to say that somebody who turns 11k into 50 or 250k or even 500k in one of histories great bull markets and manages to realize those gains can be termed "lucky", but having the nerves to compound 11k into 18 million through lots of sitting tight and keeping losses manageable AND holding on to your profits?

#57     Mar 19, 2002
  8. sabena

sabena

Daniel Zanger and Larry Williams all seem
    to be dependent from the market environe-
    ment , bull market, sideways market or
    some trending market.

But my trading results are independent
    from the character of the market.
    The statistical correlation is just 0.

I don't have to hope for a certain market
    environment...

Enough talking, see you in 2003 !

Seeing is believing.

#58     Mar 19, 2002
  9. Bob777

Bob777

Sabena,

If you do beat Larry Williams record, please promise us you will not brag about it for the next 15 years. Even today, I still see ads in Futures magazine for his 11,376% return in 87.

#59     Mar 19, 2002
    newbunch likes this.
  10. WHoa! That is an understatement! You missed his marketing scheme. With a "$10,000" investment this is his "return"

Someone who put half his money in one stocks and than uses 2x margin and puts up his account value on another stock with $18 million dollars isn't using a $10,000 increment.

Add a few zero's to that $10,000 and figure out his returns for the year and the past years!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert

#60     Mar 19, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.