Bear ETF

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by ShoeshineBoy, Jul 22, 2003.

1. I know there's a Rydex Bear mutual fund, right? Is there an equivalent ETF or CEF? I'm looking for something that I think doesn't exist: an ETF or CEF that is an inverse of one of the indexes.

2. Why not short SPY, QQQ, or DIA? Am I missing something here?

If you want increased leverage, similar to the Rydex and Profund products, move to futures.

If you're in an IRA, try index options. I've been long an SPX put for awhile.

3. I'm asking because of my IRA acount, which by regs can't have shorts, futures, etc. (which is a good thing). Furthermore, it's with IB which doesn't have mutual funds.

4. Are you with IB by any chance? I didn't think I could do anything outside of typical purchases - I'll have to ask if I can do what you mentioned.

5. I know you can do the SPX or OEX put in an IB IRA. I'm long a put in an IB IRA now and it's not offsetting anything (got stopped out of longs).

You can also use futures now in their IRA, although I haven't gone that route yet.

To my knowledge, still can't outright short ETF's and such, but the access to futures may help. I need to investigate further myself.

6. Thx - I just called IB and found out just what you were talking about. SSF's are available (go figure!) in an IRA. I don't think I'd go that route with an IRA myself, but it's interesting how the SEC in all its wisdom allows SSF's in an IRA, yet you can't short...