Bear call spread needs repair

Discussion in 'Options' started by bc1, Oct 13, 2011.

1. bc1

bc1

Hello guys. Thanks for all your responses. I tried to respond back last Sunday night but after typing a long response, I hit the wrong button and it disappeared. I'm watching the market close for today so I will respond now.

Basically that trade is not part of my strategy but I got into it on a tip. I started into it over 3 days out, not 1, and place the order on Tuesday night. It was filled at market open plus 20 seconds at 108.56 and a credit to me of 1.80. We believed NFLX was goingto stay sideways to down and was at a new resistance around 108 and would be headed down. About a half hour later, the stock started going up through the roof.

The person who gave the tip proposed rolling over to a Nov 115/120 but I didn't want to. Might have done better at rolling to an Oct11 but oh well.

Anyway as a newbie small account trader, I strategy is to do some small out of the money credit spreads that expire worthless. I'll stay out of the others for a while. With a 15% expectancy and incurring $26 commission costs to open a spread and the same for closing it, I have to have a high credit limit to allow for having to close a trade instead of letting it expire. Anyway, I'm working the numbers to see my limits and plan on completely charting a trade out for all price volatility issues so I know in advance what my options are.

As I watched the nflx option prices begin to come together, I tried to sell the 115 to lock in that profit before it shrank to much but wasn't allowed to as I didn't have 5 grand in the account to go naked on the 110 which I would have sold later. I eventually closed them together at 2:00 pm on last friday.

Thanks again and I may come back in new threads with more general issues as I try to understand the Intrinsic value and time value correlation.

#11     Oct 21, 2011