Beans in the teens

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by myminitrading, Oct 19, 2006.

1. I remember that break well. I believe it was on the Tuesday after a long weekend (Labor Day?) and already on the first day beans were $1.05 lower synthetically in the options pit! A freind of mine in the Bond pit came in long long two million bushels bought about 50 cents lower and he turned a mil profit into a million dollar loser. He never recovered......

#21     Oct 28, 2006
  2. pkts

pkts

When? 1989?

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/hist_SB19913.html

Are you thinking of a different year since I don't see any 1.50 move in 3 days.

Even just looking at most Beans years, I only see an average of 2-3 lock moves in a full year. And none than are 3 in a row. For a lot of years, 1.50 is the range.

I'm curious what I'm missing here.

#22     Oct 28, 2006
  3. Continuous charts won't accurately represent what happened with each contract.

#23     Oct 28, 2006
  4. That's completely correct but now I'm thinking it was 1988 rather than '89. I'll try to find a chart.

#24     Oct 28, 2006
  5. Here it is.

#25     Oct 28, 2006
  6. BCE

BCE

Great point and one that few inexperienced traders think of.

#26     Oct 28, 2006
  7. BCE

BCE

Thanks for sharing that. :)

#27     Oct 28, 2006
  8. pkts

pkts

Thanks. I can see what you are talking about. It stills looks like less than a 1.50 drop. Is that due to the continuous contract difference or were limits lower back then?

Thats a weird chart. The volume really drops off on the spike up. I like to convince myself that IF I was in Beans at that time I wouldn't have gotten in on a decline from a high, wouldn't have gotten into a weak volume spike. :)

Thanks for the info, its very useful to understand the past history in futures to appreciate what COULD happen. But its also good at pointing out the deficiencies in that approach, both in the charts and in extrapolating the info into the future.

#28     Oct 28, 2006

9. that is one ugly gap, no signs of warnings whatsoever...2001 stk mkt stuff innit.
    u know what caused the sudden drop?

#29     Oct 28, 2006
  10. I remember it as a VERY VERY hot summer. (several days over 100). In fact I now recal the break came right after Taste of Chicago ended.

Often all it takes in a "weather" market is a weekend of rain followed by a forecast of cooler temps for a reversal in prices.

#30     Oct 28, 2006