be humble ... giving back to society

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by SethArb, Jun 2, 2006.

1. #71     Aug 10, 2006
  2. Nice post.
    Going to see the forgotten souls at a nursing home, or to a VA Hospital is a life changer.

#72     Aug 10, 2006
  3. bsmeter

bsmeter

Yep, it's as simple as that.

Also more importantly giving brings us in touch with those less fortunate and reminds us of how much we have and how much we have to be thank ful for. And it does'nt have to be only money.

#73     Aug 10, 2006
  4. #74     Sep 11, 2006
  5. maybe I will ask to volunteer for a day instead

if I can make sure I would not cry too much

#75     Sep 11, 2006
  6. drobin

drobin

I give to childrens hospital in Boston.

#76     Sep 11, 2006
  7. I've lived by this one since around 1995

In other words, it says to TEST God to see if he will not bless you for tithing. So, I give 10% of my gross to the church that I belong to. When a client pays, I write the check to the church and drop it into the tithe box before I deposit the the client check into my account. Given that I survive nicely and am only working less than 6mo out of the year, I'd say He's been true to his word.

I also love horses and so am home to 5 horses that have no where else to go. They will remain here until their time comes to cross over. I'm also home to other animals that have found their way here. Since I bred a horse this year, in this next two weeks I am also going to buy an orphaned foal (rescue foal). Both will be protected for life. I also foster horses seized by the humane society. I started setting up a horse rescue non-profit, but got stalled by the paperwork.

I try to fill needs where I see them. Like putting money on account for a person that is having financial troubles. Grading or clearing a driveway for a person that doesn't have the ability. I always do these things anonymously (I don't want people thinking that I give handouts).

I'm not a people oriented person, so never really volunteer for things w/people. People often ask me to volunteer with children (I have none) and I refuse to do it unless I'm allowed to bring duct tape and use it as I see fit.

My area had a wild/ferral cat problem when I arrived. I am not a cat person at all. So in three years, I managed to get them all spayed, neutered and the mean ones put down. So I have cats for anyone who wants one! I'll box one up and send it your way no problems!

BTW: Cats are notorious for walking on keyboards.... I'd be VERY careful how you leave your computer with a cat around. I've lost HOURS of work because a stupid cat managed to exit a program w/o saving my work. I couldn't imagine what they could do to a trading program with 1 click transactions.

#77     Sep 11, 2006
  8. chisel

chisel

Great thread.
    I've been a Big Brother for two years. Also, when someone asks me directly for money, whether it's for them or for a charitable cause, I usually give it to them. The amount could be small or large, depending on my gut feel of the situation. Just trying to keep the flow going...

#78     Sep 12, 2006
  9. volente_00

volente_00

Gave a struggling single mother of 3 a 100% tip the other morning for breakfast. Best service I have ever seen in a restaurant. Made her day and she was very thankful.

#79     Sep 12, 2006
  10. 100% tip - very cool

#80     Sep 12, 2006