be humble ... giving back to society

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by SethArb, Jun 2, 2006.

1. dealer

dealer

1) Small amounts to charities. Nothing focused though. Very ad-hoc. Often on a whim.

2) Volunteer a couple of times a month at a local museum/historic garden. Maybe 10 hours a month meeting and educating people of all ages from all backgrounds.

3) Director (non exec) of a local preservation advocacy organization. Annual donation, one 2hr board meeting per month plus perhaps one additonal meeting, time spent reading, emailing, telephone calls etc between meetings.

Personally, I gain the most from (2).

#51     Jun 6, 2006
  2. Adobian

Adobian

Didn't someone say to go to an animal shelter and adopt a pet ? Been contemplating a dog or a cat myself. I guess cat is easier. Cause Cats are cleaner and smaller. What do you all say ?

#52     Jun 6, 2006
  3. -Time spent with animals is never wasted.

-Stats show that cats way outnumber dogs at shelters and a huge number of them are put down because they can't find adoptors. For this reason I favor the cat when I have space.

-Also, based on stats I made up - a trader with a cat next to the screens has a slower heart rate, lower BP, looks better, lives longer, makes better money, is stopped out less and is more likely to be surrounded by hot women.

That's my spiel. Either cat or dog - do it. Get a friend for life. :)

#53     Jun 7, 2006
  4. wow. that description must be me. lol: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=663273

seriously though pets do have a calming effect. lets face it trading is a lonely game and having a pet around helps during the boring times.

#54     Jun 7, 2006
  5. i vote for cats too ;)
    but either is fine, their love and loyalty is unconditional.

just don't "buy" a cat or dog at a breeder, adopt them at a shelter, they can really use your help. if you have something specific in mind, mention it with the shelter, you'll be surprised how many wonderful cats/dogs are abandoned/abused everyday.

i don't know where you are, but if you are in illinois, check these out:
    http://www.purebredcatrescue.org/purebredcat/available+for+adoption/default.asp

http://www.save-a-pet-il.org/

as for the main topic:
    i give to environmental causes and pets (to help spay them). i would like to do more volunteer work someday...
    :)

#55     Jun 9, 2006
  6. Adobian

Adobian

\

Trader5287, thanks for this. Beautiful thoughts.

Pomegranate, thanks for your vote too.

#56     Jun 10, 2006
  7. I have to admit ... my small donations make people smile on the other end usually

and give me a warm feeling inside that lasts for a little while too

:cool:

#57     Jun 30, 2006
  8. any new ideas out there from fellow traders on how to give back
    or how they have been doing so this summer ?

:)

#58     Aug 6, 2006
  9. Personally I think there are too many cats and dogs in the world today.

I try to run down as many as possible when I am driving

I realize most people think of them as man's friends but I consider them "road trophies".

Most days, I drive a nice Toyota truck equipped with snow tires. I like to let them get about half way across the road and then I go right for them. I usually run down from 3 to 5 cats and a couple dogs every month. If possible I try to at least scare some of the older adults as they try to cross the street. Last week I actually knocked over some old gal who was in the street yelling at me and pointing with her walking cane. I think I had run over her dog, a irritating yapping little bastard wearing a sweater (can you believe that). So anyway she starts yelling and swearing at me so I stopped and back up over the little bastard and "accidentally" knocked the old biddy over. It was an accident and as soon as I stopped laughing, I got out and tried to help her up.

Anyway, I am doing the best I can to keep the dog and cat (and the elderly) population under control. Hey, some people favor spay and neutering, I favor running them down. There's a lot of skill involved either way right?

I hope I am coming across as humble enough for you. I don't want to seem to be bragging.

Steve

#59     Aug 6, 2006
  10. Dont help someone on the side of the road. In FL alot of poeple have gotten out to help others and got mugged.

If you're young and healthy, like myself, they have house building for the poor. That should reduce crime. Its interesting those who dont work that hard get help from those who do.

#60     Aug 6, 2006