be humble ... giving back to society

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by SethArb, Jun 2, 2006.

1. I gave about 5% of my yearly net when I was broke. I give about 2-3% now, but it's way more than I gave ten years ago.

Rationalizing, I know, it's the first step to pure greed...

#21     Jun 2, 2006
  2. I met your wife that way too and I give to the Human Fund right now.

#22     Jun 2, 2006
  3. That was hilarious.

Real "grown up" humor too.

Is this about right Johnny Walker? Needs more punch doesn't it?

#23     Jun 2, 2006
  4. Well said Mr. Acura.

Boys and Girls Clubs of America is always a good route.

#24     Jun 2, 2006
  5. volente_00

volente_00

Use the gifts that GOD gave you to make the world a better place. Whether it being helping others to be better traders or simply changing a flat tire for an elderly woman stranded on the side of the road. If you want more of something, GIVE it first and it will come back to you 10 fold.

Deo Volente

#25     Jun 2, 2006
  6. Again, well said volente. I know it looks like I'm spamming, but I can't believe I forgot this one...

www.livestrong.org

A close member of my family lost his battle with cancer last year. I've worn a LIVESTRONG wrist band every day since.

I'm kicking myself for not posting that one first...

#26     Jun 2, 2006
  7. the human fund is from Seinfeld. The other part was just a joke playing around with everybody else.

#27     Jun 2, 2006
  8. I take all of my profits a few trading days each year and donate them to a charity.

This tradition was starrted by a few traders I know in the pits many years ago.

I felt it to be a wonderful idea, and have attempted to maintain this tradition off the floors.......

#28     Jun 2, 2006
  9. A few notes, not necessarily connected to each other:

My general observation over 30 years of living has told me that generosity is pretty much independent of one's wealth.

There are priests and pastors who give their whole life efforts to bettering the lives of people, and most of them receive nothing but grief and shit from the larger part of the world.

Too many people with any comfortable level of financial wealth will pucker up tighter than a snare drum when it comes to the idea of parting with a few dollars for the benefit of others in society.

Sad but true. People who are only after their own profit and don't give a shit about others seem to proliferate like a virus with each generation. Just makes the world that much sadder and fouler.

The ironic thing is, each one of us as individuals would achieve the happiness and acceptance that we as human beings hunger for if we would stop being so absorbed with ourselves and did a little more to serve others.

I feel sorry for you, Johnny Walker.

RoughTrader

#29     Jun 2, 2006
  10. I donate to Operation Smile. Operation Smile volunteers repair childhood facial deformities in 30 countries.

#30     Jun 2, 2006