Be honest American Catholics

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by trendlover, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Oh all right,, I confess. :D

At a time in our history where our gov't is making dozens of concessions to accomidate the Muslim religion, it annoys me that our gov't cannot back down on this issue and accomidate the Catholics on this point and requirements of paying for bc.

If this were am Islam issue, there wouldn't be a discussion. It wouldn't be required.

I personally feel this is just one more attack on our christian value, morals, foundations, principle, you name it, because christian bashiing is in vogue and this article is just a spin using abortion as an excuse/reason.

#41     Oct 13, 2012
  2. stu

stu

Warning:
    Crying wolf to play the religious persecution card damages your credibility.
    LA Times

Holding up anti-contraception as a value, moral foundation or principle is unrealistic to put it mildly. It's ostrich mentality. In practice does far more harm than good. The world doesn't work like that.

Trying to control everyone, repressing sexual activity with religious belief, doesn't work either. It's beyond naive.
    People are aware and rightly so, that having your life managed by rules concocted during the dark ages which are then habitually preached regardless of realities, is no way to live. As a principle it sucks.

#42     Oct 13, 2012
  3. had you been paying attention you would know that concessions were made. no church has to comply. it is only when a church runs a for profit business that it has to comply just like everyone else.
    why should churches be able to run for profit businesses and not comply with regulations and not pay any taxes?

this article lays out an experiment where abortion was reduced 50%. shouldnt that be a good thing to any thinking person?

#43     Oct 13, 2012
  4. A clear and concise arguement. duly noted. Generally people live emotional lives not intelligent or always rational lives. Personally I don't have a problem with a religion of the dark ages, and you shouldn't have a problem with me chosing to do so either.

Why do I accept that and why should you accept that? Because I will do the same for you.

#44     Oct 13, 2012
  5. The church I'm sure is well aware that this may be true, if it is, it is the churchs perogative to pursue this methd of reducing abortions not mine.

#45     Oct 13, 2012
  6. In my bomb analogy, I should add that some people are anti war but they have no choice of how that money is spent. Hence the gov't won't let me exmpet my taxes used for fighting wars but they do give me a choice of not actually fighting and killing in the war.

#46     Oct 13, 2012
  7. that is where religion comes in. religion makes people do stupid things. the church prefers to force everyone to believe as thay do rather than use knowledge to fix a problem.

#47     Oct 13, 2012
  8. Sounds like a union problem...............:cool: :D

#48     Oct 13, 2012
  9. stu

stu

I have no problem up to the point where you attempt to supplant what are society's more pragmatically reasonable values, moral foundations or principles with your religion of the dark ages.
    :)

#49     Oct 13, 2012
  10. jem

jem

can you be more dense... how many times do I have to type this...

if some birth control aborts human beings...what you are saying is prefer to eliminate abortions with abortions.

note... asimov's quote (by the way I love sci fi) would be cute... if it were not completely contrary to the idea of salvation by grace not merit. We all need to have our sins forgiven. Believers and non believers.

#50     Oct 13, 2012