Be careful what you wish for

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaptainObvious, Mar 23, 2010.

1. did YOU ask how IRAQ would be paid for??

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/07/AR2008030702846.html

no you don't!

#11     Mar 23, 2010
  2. Health care in US ranks lowest among developed countries
    http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/337/jul21_1/a889

Medical debt contributed to 62% of all personal bankruptcies
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/06/05/earlyshow/health/main5064981.shtml

Healthcare Costs and U.S. Competitiveness
    http://www.cfr.org/publication/13325/

The plan is not a government takeover of health care like in Canada or Britain
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...8/top-10-facts-know-about-health-care-reform/

Overall we think this plan is very good, and will provide some significant benefits for seniors. There will be some pain among some people in Medicare Advantage plans - National Council on the Aging. http://www.ncoa.org

#12     Mar 23, 2010
  3. #13     Mar 23, 2010

4. I'm not going to agree or disagree with this, it'll be a long debate just like in the government, theres 2 sides to every story.
    But this is America, the land of opportunity, where anyone CAN do anything they want, and make as much money as they want if they work hard. There are holes in the system, yes the rich can get whatever they want for doctors, etc while people who can't afford it don't have the same benefits, but there are plenty of ways around it, get a union job with benefits, work for the postal service, or a million other things instead of just looking for a free lunch. Thats why this country has become so weak minded. Nothing but sad liberals who know nothing and want handouts for everything. Everyone knows theres no such thing as a free lunch, in the end who's going to pay? everyone.

#14     Mar 23, 2010
  5. They are already paying.

[​IMG]

#15     Mar 23, 2010
  6. "But this is America, the land of opportunity, where anyone CAN do anything they want, and make as much money as they want if they work hard."

If you would seriously examine the above, and then seriously examine how things actually work in America, you would understand your statement above is mostly false.

Plenty of people work hard, yet they are not able to make as much money as they can...

Much has to do with luck.

I am not suggesting that many who make money don't earn it, but many others actually do not. They did not pull themselves up by their bootstraps and carve themselves out a piece of the American pie.

Much of the truth of making money is knowing the right people, paying to line the pockets of politicians...

That is the ugly truth of America, which of course does not make much of a carrot to pull the cart of the working class...

#16     Mar 23, 2010
  7. i never said that.. only that your guy was a bum.

one helps humanity the other destroys it, where are your morals? :eek:

#17     Mar 23, 2010
  8. Another not so artful dodge of the real question, how does all this get paid for? Even the CBO is hedging..."The budgetary impact of broad changes in the nation's health care and health insurance systems is very uncertain...as a result, we believe that CBO's estimates of the net savings that would result from the legislation have a roughly equal chance of turning out to be too high or too low," CBO chief Doug Elmendorf wrote in a blog titled "Uncertainty in Estimates for Health Care Legislation."
    In other words, it's the flip of a coin.

Does anyone with even a shred of intellectual honesty believe what was promised by congress to be done will actually happen? Do you really believe those "Cadillac" plans will be taxed in 2018? Do you actually think waste will be removed from medicare? Com'on! We're going to add 32 million people and cost will go down, while efficiency goes up? Nigga' please! This is the government we're talking about, right?
    And if you want to discuss morality, answer me this. If the Dems have such high morals on this issue, then why did so many votes have to be bought in order for this thing to pass?

#18     Mar 23, 2010

9. Tell that to the entrepenuer who creates things like Yahoo and such from their basements. There ARE opportunities out there for the people who really do want it.
    You can bust your ass for years as a construction worker and if you are smart with your money and focused on your ambitions, maybe you start your own contracting company and watch it branch out. I know a guy who started a printing company from his basement and now makes over 5 million a year because he worked hard.
    Even a worker who starts out at Mcdonalds, if you have a positive attitude and you really work hard, you can move up the ranks, then after a while you can be a manager, then soon you can get stock options, then maybe one day you can own your own mcdonalds franchise (I do not mean this as sarcasm or a jest, genuinely true about mcdonalds)
    Someone who is into tattoos, and has talent works hard and then opens their own tattoo shop and makes a name for themselves. Its all very possible and happens all the time.
    The problem is the people. They dont WANT to do the hard work. they want to spend diaper money on scratch off lotto tickets and rims for their car. The american people are the flaw.

#19     Mar 23, 2010
  10. Sadly, this is all too accurate, if unintentionally so. The decline of the United States is characterized, among other things, by a rise in partisan politics which makes the whole process into the theatre of the absurd. Republicans are fighting this bill for one reason and one reason only - it's a Democratic bill and Barack Obama is in their White House.

'Playing it right' is what the Republicans are interested in doing. They're not interested in 'doing what's right'. The insurance company abuses have moved beyond criminal - they are responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of people who should have received protection but did not because of legal loopholes. The Republicans who voted no will have to live with the shame of voting against this much needed reform.

Universal health care is established in almost all the major Western democracies.

The Republicans have lied through their teeth to the American public about the alleged costs of this bill, which will actually reduce costs in the long run. They lied through their teeth about the 'death panels' that supposedly would have been convened. They lied through their teeth about the supposed increases in abortion rates. They took money from the insurance companies to vote against this bill. It has sickened me to watch it, and I can only hope that this propels Obama into a second term in office.

Next up should be the dismantling of the FDA and criminal charges against everyone who ran it for the past 25 years, but I'm not holding my breath.

#20     Mar 23, 2010