Be afraid of blogs, be very afraid...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by retaildaytrader, Jul 7, 2010.

1. "Last of all, don't forget to change your user name or contact Baron to request your account to be deleted because you seem to be in the wrong career."

The above sentence is quite telling how you think. I am on a board called "Elitetrader" with a handle of "Retaildaytrader" so does that mean that this is my career? Maybe you think a guy carrying around a Canon 7d and an L lens with a hat saying #1 Photographer must be a professional photojoournalist or a guy running on the street in a tank top must be an Olympic runner.

The point of this thread is to be wary, actually I used the word "afraid", of blogs. Oftentimes people see a guy post a chart on a well crafted website and then believe the author of the site is a professional profitable trader. The truth is oftentimes a lot different then what is believed. Oftentimes you the reader is on the same or higher level then the blogger.

Like I said, Paul Tudor Jones does not have a "donate" tab which links to his paypal account on his website. He does not have a blog&comments section. Profitable traders do not blog.

#51     Jul 10, 2010
  2. Here we are and another day has passed.

Tim Morge was the first trader's blog to be posted and the learning message from Tim was to do work to be prepared. He invites the public and his clients to DO as he does and he shows them how by example.

Today, another very successful trader's blog is considered. The trader is an ex marine sharpshooter and Toyko US Embassy guard. He often participates in real time trading contests hosted by the likes of TratersExpo. Take a look at this site:

http://www.osoktrading.com/

OSOK stands for the famous trading of Jon called "One Shot One Kill". The message to his clients and to his readers is: Precision.

His book, "One Shot One Kill" is the opposite of the myths you OP'ed.

Both of the bloggers mentioned so far have appeared on panels at TradersExpo under the heading of "Great Traders You Have Never Heard OF"

So now you have two precepts presented to you: Work and Precision.

By not being discerning, you operate in a state of incoherence and your mind plays games with you. The traps you keep falling into are very time wasting.

Blogs are not the problem.

Warning people about blogs is a red herring.

both traders who have blogs can double your money in less time than you think is possible. Neither want your money. they are inundated with people offering them money to manange. therefore, they tell anyone who is willing to work and be precise just how to make money on thgeir own.

You can't make money for two reasons so far: you don't do the work and you are imprecise. These fators are the one's that make you fearful, anxious and angry. you are on a level far below most bloggers of any repute.

Are you getting the message? Let me know if you are.

#52     Jul 10, 2010
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

You're still making blanket statements because you know not all blogs fit whatever you're describing. Therefore, why is it difficult for you to admit that you're talking about a specific type of blog that represents a minority of the blogs out there. Thus, if you're trying to say that there are some blogs out there that involve TA, google adsense, paypal payment links, donate to charity, sign up for a newsletter et cetera...

Of course those blogs exist and you need to develop a thick skin and ignore them like most of us do or read blogs that doesn't have that and there's a thread here at ET where traders list their favorite market blogs with a few in the list that doesn't have the the stuff you mentioned that has gotten underneath your skin. Yet, don't pretend you're warning us when we already know they exist and don't spend any time reading them a second time. Thus, there are no kids here (I hope there isn't) for you to protect.

However, don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to convince you to read someones blog. Instead, I just want you to understand that there are many blogs out there that don't talk TA, don't have google adsense, don't give trading advice...all they do is talk about the market, economy or how such has an impact on their personal lives.

By the way, you continue comparing small capitalized traders with blogs to a guy that runs Tudor Ventures...a billion(s) dollar company. Of course Tudor doesn't need a blog because they have one of the best PR and Investment Relations departments that puts out daily information. I'll repeat, they have a PR and Investment Relations department that releases daily information...sound familiar. :cool:

Simply, if bloggers had access to the same PR and Investment Relations department like Tudor...they wouldn't want to be blogging.

As for your user name...I need a little clarification.

* Are you currently a daytrader that's trading from a home office ?

P.S. I'm still confused about why those multi-million dollar celebrities, athletes, TV networks need blogs and other social networks ? Aren't they successful ?

Mark

#53     Jul 10, 2010
  4. "You're still making blanket statements because you know not all blogs fit whatever you're describing."

All of the blogs are exactly what I am describing. They only serve to sucker you and help you fall prey to such psychological consequences like confirmation bias.

Anyone who has read the popular trading books knows about Livingston's adventure with Union Pacific and listening to other people's advice. They also know about his adventures in the cotton market where he made the same mistake again. Livingston would probably conclude that trading blog readers are suckers in the markets.

It is these blog reading suckers who is the real all-the-year-round support of the online brokers. He lasts about three and a half years average. He knows all the don'ts that ever fell from the oracular lips of the bloggers-excepting the principal one, which is: Don't be a sucker! [those are not my words, I modified them a little from the good book]

"Of course those blogs exist and you need to develop a thick skin and ignore them like most of us..."

No, you will never develop a thick enough skin to protect yourself against words. When you see or read something, then that memory sticks with you for the rest of your life. You might try to put it to the back of your mind or cloud it out, but its there. Thus if you see someone's chart, then you risk clouding your own judgement.

I've seen people stroke out and their short term memory is completely wiped out. All they have left is long term memories and even odd things like watches placed on a desk 30 years earlier are remembered in great detail. 30 years from now you will remember this post because you chose to read it. You might say that you can block it out, but thats like saying you can belt down 10 shots of vodka and it will not effect your judgement. Qualitative experiences are important.

"Yet, don't pretend you're warning us when we already know they exist and don't spend any time reading them a second time. Thus, there are no kids here (I hope there isn't) for you to protect."

Nope, there are no kids here, but lots and lots of suckers. There is a difference between being a kid and a sucker. I would say the main viewership of Elitetrader is the sucker. I bet there is someone reading this thread who actually believes you are some type of profitable trader...yep there is another sucker for you.

"Instead, I just want you to understand that there are many blogs out there that don't talk TA, don't have google adsense, don't give trading advice...all they do is talk about the market, economy or how such has an impact on their personal lives."

I am guessing at this point you are about to name a few of these blogs so we can all go over there and hit the donate button...maybe click on the ads.

"Of course Tudor doesn't need a blog because they have one of the best PR and Investment Relations departments that puts out daily information."

Nope you are wrong. Tudor doesnt need a blog because of his reputation earned over the course of 30+ years of trading. Tudor doesnt need to earn credibility because he proved himself to his clients a long time ago. So he got trust through the old fashioned way, he earned it.

"* Are you currently a daytrader that's trading from a home office ?"

None of your business.

I dont trust you with even an ounce of my personal information. All I have seen from you is two bit attempts to advertise yourself on here through undocumented statements about your personal wealth, trading prowess and I believe you even told us that you correctly predicted the bottom last year. I am guessing the next thing we see from you is selling a system. I am sure one of the suckers will buy it from you.

I dont give hacks any of my personal information to include where I drop my 10 dimes for my daily cup of joe. I let the hacks wallow in their ignorance.

#54     Jul 11, 2010
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Well...you actually answer my question along with continuing making those blanket statements that ALL blogs fit your description.

Now you're lying again via stating that that I said "I correctly predicted the bottom". Also, after reviewing some of your messages elsewhere here at ET...you're doing the same consistently with others at this forum about other topics...like some troll. Such is no longer tolerated by me. By the way, I no longer believe you have poor english reading comprehension skills. Instead, you're intentionally doing such and I'm no longer amused by your stupidity and baiting tactics. Thus, I'm now 100% sure you're just another one of those traders or none traders that shouldn't have any involvement with the markets nor any forum discussions about the markets. You're also a piker that hangs out in blogville that got burnt a few times looking for that magic 8 ball. I'm also convinced you're either a teenager or one of the most uneducated ET members that ET has seen in many years. With that said, you will see by my actions below that when you get tired of someone's blog, website or forum message post...

Ignore them and it's a wonderful solution.

On that note above, (my last message in this thread to it's readers), I now understand why Baron or Joe doesn't delete the accounts of trolls like this retaildaytrader guy...they just re-invent themselves...continue with the same stupidity. Thus, best to just leave them alone in this mind frame because they're more harmful if their accounts is deleted...resulting in activating a viral spread. Thus, retaildaytrader has now made my ignore list and I highly recommend others do the same via clicking on the link below to ignore him. However, the actual link gets asteriskized ****. Thus, I've used a bit.ly link converter for the same link.

Another solution, you can also just click on his profile and then click the ignore button within his profile...same result.

Mark

#55     Jul 11, 2010
  6. All I have to say to you is "last word". Thats funny how you know its wrong and goes against the rules of the board to post up the ignore link so you add justification before there is any argument or debate. BTW, those posts in the feedback section about the ignore link are a few years old. What alias # is this for you? I guess you are just another multi-alias troll coming out of hiding.

At least you can be a good troll and keep the same alias as the others have on ET. There is some honor in just trolling under one alias versus several others.

#56     Jul 11, 2010
  7. If a blog presents verified facts, numbers, or statistics to back up the argument, I'm ok with it. What I don't like is bloggers who shoot from the hip with their opinion with no facts to back up anything. I also am tired of sportswriters/bloggers who wait until the game is over to say good things about the team/person that wins and bad things about the team/person that loses. A sportswriter who can't predict the outcome of games, or give analysis to help in predicting is basically useless. Any high school journalist can wait until the game is over to say good about the winner or bad about the loser.

#57     Jul 11, 2010
  8. Another thing I wanted to point out is that he talked about having that "thick skin" when reading things on the internet and then he goes bonkers on me throwing up a link to the ignore tab. Who do you all think one this debate? Cast your votes.

#58     Jul 11, 2010
  9. What the hell is that link? Someone remove it please. It added me to your ignore list I think, which is fine when I think about it :D

#59     Jul 11, 2010
  10. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

There you go yet again -- a post that has as many holes as swiss cheese. Who said bloggers are traders?

By your logic (or lack thereof) I guess any (and all) analysts at GS, MS, etc. are also traders who are trying to sell their research as well as making $$$ trading. WRONG!!

So am I wrong to read articles in WSJ? In IBD? In Barron's? How is the author of articles in those publications, that may focus on a company in biotech (semis, banking, software, ....) any different than a blogger? After all you pay for WSJ, IBD, Barron's ...

People READ material to get different perspectives.

#60     Jul 11, 2010