BBC Claims New Iraqi Massacre Video

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Jun 1, 2006.

  1. New 'Iraq massacre' tape emerges

    The BBC has uncovered new video evidence that US forces may have been responsible for the deliberate killing of 11 innocent Iraqi civilians.

    The video appears to challenge the US military's account of events that took place in the town of Ishaqi in March.

    The US said at the time four people died during a military operation, but Iraqi police claimed that US troops had deliberately shot the 11 people.

    A spokesman for US forces in Iraq told the BBC an inquiry was under way.

    The new evidence comes in the wake of the alleged massacre in Haditha, where US marines are suspected of massacring up to 24 Iraqi civilians in November 2005.


    The video pictures obtained by the BBC appear to contradict the US account of the events in Ishaqi, about 100km (60 miles) north of Baghdad, on 15 March 2006.

    The US authorities said they were involved in a firefight after a tip-off that an al-Qaeda supporter was visiting the house.

    According to the Americans, the building collapsed under heavy fire killing four people - a suspect, two women and a child.

    But a report filed by Iraqi police accused US troops of rounding up and deliberately shooting 11 people in the house, including five children and four women, before blowing up the building.

    The video tape obtained by the BBC shows a number of dead adults and children at the site with what our world affairs editor John Simpson says were clearly gunshot wounds.

    The pictures came from a hardline Sunni group opposed to coalition forces.

    It has been cross-checked with other images taken at the time of events and is believed to be genuine, the BBC's Ian Pannell in Baghdad says.
  2. i just watched it. bodies of children riddled with bullets. according to the bbc correspondent, they collapsed the building on top of the dead bodies to make it look as if they died from the collapse.

    no further comments..
  3. By KIM GAMEL, Associated Press Writer
    32 minutes ago

    A third set of allegations that U.S. troops have deliberately killed civilians is fueling a furor in Iraq and drawing strong condemnations from government and human rights officials.

    "It looks like the killing of Iraqi civilians is becoming a daily phenomenon," the chairman of the Iraqi Human Rights Association, Muayed al-Anbaki, said Friday after video ran on television of children and adults slain in a raid in Ishaqi in March.

    Al-Anbaki's comments came a day after Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki upbraided the U.S. military over allegations that Marines killed two dozen unarmed civilians in Haditha, calling it "a horrible crime." They were his strongest public comments on the subject since his government was sworn in last month.

    U.S. commanders have ordered new ethics training for all troops in Iraq. But the flow of revelations and investigations threatens to undermine Iraq's new government and public support in America for President Bush's management of the war.

    Iraq's government also began its own investigation of the deaths in Haditha.

    In addition to the Haditha case, in which Marines are alleged to have gunned down 24 civilians in a rage of revenge for a bombing that killed a Marine in November, seven Marines and a Navy corpsman could face murder, kidnapping and conspiracy charges as early as Friday in the April shooting death of an Iraqi man, a defense attorney said Thursday.

    Military prosecutors plan to file the charges against the men, who are being held in solitary confinement at Camp Pendleton, Calif., Marine Corps base, said Jeremiah Sullivan III, who represents one of the men.

    The Los Angeles Times and NBC News said troops may have planted an AK-47 and a shovel near the body to make it appear as if the man was an insurgent burying a roadside bomb. Neither suggested a possible motive.

    The U.S. military had no additional comment Friday on the accusations stemming from a raid March 15 in the village of Ishaqi, about 50 miles north of Baghdad.

    In March, the U.S. military said four people died when they attacked from the ground and air a house suspected of holding an al-Qaida operative. The house was destroyed.

    But video shot by an AP Television News cameraman at the time and aired on March 15 shows at least five children dead. The video shows at least one adult male and four young children with obvious entry wounds to the head. One child has an obvious entry wound to the side caused by a bullet.

    The March report spelled the village's name as Isahaqi.

    Local Iraqis said there were 11 total dead, and charged that they were killed by U.S. troops before the house was leveled.

    The video includes an unidentified man saying "children were stuck in the room, alone and surrounded."

    "After they handcuffed them, they shot them dead. Later, they struck the house with their planes. They wanted to hide the evidence. Even a 6-month-old infant was killed. Even the cows were killed, too," he said.

    The video included shots of the bodies of five children and two men wrapped in blankets.

    Other video showed the bodies of three children in the back of a pickup truck that took them to the hospital in Tikrit, Saddam Hussein's former hometown.

    Police Capt. Laith Mohammed said the March 15 attack that hit Ishaqi involved U.S. warplanes and armor.

    Riyadh Majid, who identified himself as the nephew of Faez Khalaf, the head of the household who was killed, told AP at the time that U.S. forces landed in helicopters and raided the home.

    Khalaf's brother, Ahmed, said nine of the victims were family members who lived at the house and two were visitors.

    The U.S. military, which said in March that the allegations were being investigated, said it was targeting and captured an individual suspected of supporting foreign fighters of the al-Qaida in Iraq terrorist network. It had no further comment Friday.

    Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, spokesman for U.S.-led forces in Iraq, said at a news conference Thursday that "about three or four" inquiries were being carried out around the country, but he would not provide any details.

    Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld on Friday defended the training and conduct of U.S. troops and said incidents such as the alleged massacre of Iraqi civilians shouldn't happen.

    "We know that 99.9 percent of our forces conduct themselves in an exemplary manner. We also know that in conflicts things that shouldn't happen, do happen," he said. "We don't expect U.S. soldiers to act that way, and they're trained not to."

    U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales called the allegations "very, very serious" and said the world will see a thorough military investigation.

    "If people are found to have committed crimes, those people will be held responsible and they will be held accountable," Gonzales said Friday in an interview with WOAI-AM, a radio station in San Antonio. "The president expects that, and I know the leadership in the military wants to see that happen as well."

    Iraqi officials and relatives also said U.S. forces killed two Iraqi women — one of them about to give birth — when the troops shot at a car that failed to stop at an observation post in Samarra, 60 miles north of Baghdad.

    The U.S. military said coalition troops fired at a car after it entered a clearly marked prohibited area near an observation post but failed to stop despite repeated visual and auditory warnings. It said the incident was being investigated.

    Army Brig. Gen. Donald Campbell, the chief of staff of the Multinational Corps-Iraq, said at a briefing Friday that incidents of misconduct could result from the stress and fear of battling an enemy that doesn't abide by the rules of war, and often cannot be distinguished from the civilian population.

    "It doesn't excuse the acts that have occurred, and we're going to look into them. But I would say it's stress, fear, isolation and, in some cases, they're just upset. They see their buddies getting blown up on occasion, and they could snap," Campbell said.

    Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

    Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
    Questions or Comments
    Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback

  4. Daal


    Is this on youtube?I wanna see it
  5. What does video of dead people prove? They could have been inside the house and killed during a firefight. They could have been killed by insurgents, who have killed a lot more Iraqis than US troops have.

    Clearly the media have an agenda here.
  6. U.S. Troops Cleared of Misconduct in Iraqi Civilian Deaths at Ishaqi
    Friday, June 02, 2006

    WASHINGTON — A military investigation into allegations that U.S. troops intentionally killed Iraqi civilians in a March 15 raid in a village north of Baghdad has cleared the troops of misconduct, two defense officials said Friday.

    The investigation concluded that the U.S. troops followed normal procedures in raising the level of force as they came under attack upon approaching a building where they believed an Al Qaeda terrorist was hiding, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the results had not been publicly released.

    The Army's Criminal Investigation Division reviewed the results of the investigation and found no reason to probe further, the officials said.

    The nighttime raid was conducted in the village of Ishaqi, about 50 miles north of Baghdad, by a ground assault force. After being fired upon from the vicinity of the targeted building, the soldiers called in airstrikes by an Air Force AC-130 gunship, which attacked the building, the defense officials said.

    Local Iraqis said there were 11 total dead, and contended that they were killed by U.S. troops before the house was leveled.

    The incident came months after an alleged massacre by Marines of 24 Iraqi civilians in Haditha last November. The military is still conducting two investigations into the Haditha case, one to see if U.S. troops committed crimes there and a second to see if the actions were covered up.

    One defense official said the investigation into the circumstances of the Ishaqi attack found that four people in the building were killed by U.S. forces, including two women and a child. The main target of the attack, said by U.S. intelligence to be an Al Qaeda figure, ran from the building but was later captured, the official said.

    Footage shot by an AP Television News cameraman at the location showed at least five children dead and at least one adult male and four of the children with deep head wounds that could have been caused by bullets or shrapnel. The inside of the walls left standing were pocked with bullet holes.

    Iraqi Police Capt. Laith Mohammed said the March 15 attack that hit Ishaqi involved U.S. warplanes and armor.

    Riyadh Majid, who identified himself as the nephew of Faez Khalaf, the household head who was killed, told AP at the time that U.S. forces landed in helicopters and raided the home.

    Khalaf's brother, Ahmed, said nine of the victims were family members who lived at the house and two were visitors.
  7. Just as one can't dismiss the possibility that individual U.S. servicemen <i>may</i> have dishonored their country by attacking civilian non-combatants, keep in mind that the enemy is fully capable of staging and claiming fake 'massacres'.

    This has been done to Israel on multiple occasions. Even after the truth later comes out- fully discrediting the claims... the P.R. damage has already been done, and can't be reversed.

    Video about 'Pallywood':