Battery backup question?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by EMini-Player, May 30, 2003.

1. nitro

nitro

Absolutely!

I learned it the hard way as well.

nitro :(

#11     May 31, 2003
  2. What exactly is the hard way? Is there no juice when you need it or do the bad batteries somehow damage the equipment connected to them?

BTW, where is the best place to purchase new batteries? From the manufacturer or is there a better/cheaper place?

#12     May 31, 2003
  3. When the power line went out couple of years back - the UPS beep, battery backup kicked in, everything looked good.

But the bad battery light all of a sudden kicked in as well and shut down the UPS, my trading computer, monitors, etc. due to the fact that there is in fact not enough backup power to support my computer system.

You can imagine the mess :(

Later, I learned everything about UPS, like batteries do not last forever :)

For APC batteries, you can order them directly from them.

Lawrence

#13     May 31, 2003
  4. I mean you can order APC UPS batteries directly from APC.

Too much BBQ and beer today :cool:

#14     May 31, 2003
  5. Whamo

Whamo

Yes, my reasoning is that I prefer to trust my business to a company (APC) who is the standard for battery backup in large business's for 20 years versus a company who is just trying to break into the consumer market. If I have to file a claim I would rather do it with APC...

#15     May 31, 2003
  6. To your first question, yes, but be careful. First, use a quality power strip, surge suppressor, or PDU (power distribution unit). You can have the best UPS in the world, but its effectiveness is compromised by a cheap ($10) power strip--the weakest link. Inexpensive power strips can have bad solder joints and flakey circuit/trip breakers.

Secondly, a power strip allows you to add more devices to the UPS and therefore increase the load on the UPS. Ensure that you don't exceed the UPS' rated load (in watts or VA).

To calculate what size UPS you need, look at your equipment's documentation and locate the typical/nominal (not maximum, which are power-on surge measurements, and not minimum/standby) wattage of each device and add them up. Add about 10-20% to that value for increased backup time and future growth. That's what size UPS you should buy.

Responding to your second question, APC. In my past life at Hewlett-Packard (HWP, not HPQ), I ran across Liebert, Deltec, and APC UPS's in data centers (others, too). APC came on strong in the early 90's as main frames became servers and everything shrunk. I have never seen or used CyberPower, but I've been out of the field for awhile so maybe they're the latest "to-do".

Personally, I have an APC SmartUPS 700Net with PowerChute software. The software monitors load, input and output voltage, logs events (spikes, sags, surges, etc.), and provides for automatic "graceful" shutdown when the power goes out and the batteries are almost fully discharged.

APC makes the BackUPS, SmartUPS for PC's, Workstations, Servers, and Networks, and Matrix Series more larger configurations in data centers. The BackUPS is targeted to the consumer market, while the SmartUPS is commercial/business focused. (this is just for the power purists: the BackUPS generates a modified square-wave output on battery power while the SmartUPS is true sine wave). Also, the Smart UPS regulates power (increases/decreases output voltage on sags and surges). For most PC applications, the BackUPS will work just fine. I'm from the old school and was taught to be anal about power, so I chose the SmartUPS...

I purchased my APC from Dell for $254 last year while they were having a 20%-off sale and free shipping (which really saves you when the UPS weighs 30 lbs.!). They seem to always have sales discounts on the power products. Also, they sell the battery replacements.

My current configuration is: Dell Precision 340, two Dell 17" flat panels, Motorola SB4200 cable MODEM, SMC Barricade 7004ABR router, and HP Officejet 630 multi-function printer. Total load on the 700-VA UPS is 33%. Backup time is 30 minutes (verified and tested), which is more than enough time to stay in and get out of a day trade!

Also, Fast Trader, (I'm getting anal on power again...) make sure that all of your devices that are interconnected to the computer are powered by the UPS as well--same power point for all. The reason is to eliminate "ground loop" surges and spikes between devices. This can blow-out interface cards. So don't, for example, have an external DVD or tape drive hooked to regular wall power.

Hope this helps more than confuses. I know it's a lot more than you asked for! :)

Now, can someone tell me how to trade SYMC? :confused: I swear, their MM is brutal...:mad: (I confess, I still have a lot to learn...) :cool:

#16     Jun 2, 2003
  7. Thanks for the detailed reply 5R08Astang :)

#17     Jun 2, 2003
  8. 50nbroke

50nbroke

Go to RefurbUPS.com.

Class act. I got the APC1400 for only $200. (retails for $600) All you are buying with a UPS is the batteries. My case came pristine.

#18     Jun 2, 2003
  9. TRADEQQQ

TRADEQQQ

#19     Jun 2, 2003