Battery backup question?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by EMini-Player, May 30, 2003.

1. Most of the battery backups I've seen only have 3 sockets for battery back up. Can I connect a surge protector with 6 sockets to one of the battery backup sockets if I need more than 3 pieces of equipment running in case of a power outage?

Thanks.

2. Yes.

However, your battery backup is rated by V.A. (voltage amps) and will give you a fixed amount of time depending on the amount of current your electronic devices draw.

I have a rather large UPS (Hey, I have a lot of devices to satisfy--size does matter) with only two battery backup output plugs, but run several power strips off of them (linked together), and support quite a number of devices.

3. Thanks Optional!

One more Q: should I go with APC or CyberPower? Cost-wise CyberPower seems to be better.

-FastTrader

4. APC.

I have had problems with the cheaper Cyberpower products.

Don't skimp on a UPS.

5. nitro

nitro

Be careful how you hook it up and what you hook it up. The warantee is very clear on this - it is all in the manual.
    Here is the one I use:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=443343

Note that this requires a NEMA outlet and wiring. Otherwise, they make 1500 VA versions that use the standard house electrical plugs/wiring. Also not that this is a rackmount version. Those cost a little more than the standard version of the same thing.

nitro

6. Puny little 2200 VA? Man, I thought you were all about size!!!

7. Whamo

Whamo

Definitely buy the APC.

8. nitro

nitro

This model supports daisy chaining them one after the other. I currently have and only require two in the chain for the given VA rating of my trading station/monitors and what I would consider a safe amount of time to unwind my positions.

I also keep my routers, switches and firewall on a seperate UPS:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=190186

If my needs expand [which I do not forsee] I just go and pop in another one.

nitro

9. Zuizo

Zuizo

Interesting. Definitely buy APC...

I own a CyberPower 1500AVR for about 1 year. I have tested it twice, and have been able to get over 1 hour of back up power. Whenever the power goes out or I get a surge in my electricity... CyberPower has performed flawlessly. CyberPower cost me about $250 bucks, and comes with a 3 year warrenty. I really can't ask for a better scenerio.

P.S. CyberPower 1500AVR comes with 6 plug in sockets.

-- Z

10. Usually the batteries within a UPS will decrease in its max level of backup time after using it for a year or two.

If your location has really bad power line, the batteries will have even shorter life span.

So do check the batteries say at least every 6-months. If possible let the batteries completely run out its backup power and recharge completely before reconnecting them to your trading computers. That extend the batteries life.

And finally, you need to replace the batteries every 3 to 5 years anyway.

I have learned the lesson in a really hard way :(

#10     May 31, 2003