'Batman' Shooting: Gun Lobby Counts On Short Attention Span

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Jul 23, 2012.

1. You still did not answer just how military grade material is made available to the public.

The rest is just blather. Answer the question.

#21     Jul 23, 2012
  2. MKTrader

MKTrader

For every occasional shooting rampage, there are tons of these stories buried on page 8 of local newspapers:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2012/06/66-year-old_woman_who_shot_int.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-q2zHIovOE&feature=related

http://www.abc27.com/story/17120420/police-seek-man-in-robbery-thwarted-by-victims-gun

Of course, gun haters are typically non-thinkers who give in to the appeal to emotion whenever some tragedy occurs. They also fail to grasp that the First Amendment is basically worthless without the Second Amendment.

#22     Jul 24, 2012
  3. You can't take an AK to a deer hunt. It is way too small of a bullet. A javalina or an antelope perhaps, but not deer. You need a larger gun, like a 30.06 or other hunting gun.
    AKs are great for taget shooting, especially in target matches. But it doesn't shoot a large bullet. Most shoot 223. I'm sure that is the gun the Batman shooter had, along with his more substantial weapons.
    I have a couple of AKs.
    What the military uses and what is sold as an "assault weapon" are two completely different things.

#23     Jul 24, 2012
  4. That's simply not true. I have heard that posited many times, but never seen proof that it can EASILY be done. You would think that as many times as this nonsense has been spouted, someone would provide a link to a "how-to" article or to a site selling a conversion kit.

But let's say it is as easy to do as you claim, it is illegal to do it.

#24     Jul 24, 2012
  5. i never said it was legal. the rest. you dont know what you are talking about. lets leave it at that.

#25     Jul 24, 2012
  6. So you are yet another one that is going to spew nonsense and provide no proof. Got it.

#26     Jul 24, 2012
  7. It's fairly simple to change a semi-automatic weapon to full auto, but if done by an amateur it would jam easily when it heated up. A properly functioning weapon is a balance between load (pressure), heat and lubrication. A professional gunsmith, or someone with a lot of experience, would be needed to make all the adjustments for springs, ejection port, etc. to make the gun reliable. When semi-auto weapons are modified in any serious way (e.g., for competition) they need a of lot testing, tuning and adjustments. Even basic modifications (e.g., trigger pull weight), if not done properly, can turn a reliable semi-auto weapon into an unrealiable jam-o-matic. It takes experience to get it right. I'm not saying that a determined amateur couldn't do it, but it's not a trivial task.

Anyone who converts a semi-auto to full-auto goes straight to jail so I think it would be tough finding someone willing to do the work.

#27     Jul 24, 2012
  8. you seem smart enough to type on this thread. are you smart enough to use google?

#28     Jul 24, 2012
  9. Tom, I am not disputing that it CAN be done, I am just saying it can't be done EASILY. Certainly much more complicated than a little filing and tweaking. That comment was ridiculous.

#29     Jul 24, 2012
  10. Nope. I am not smart enough to find a link that proves all it takes is a little filing and tweaking as you contend. Put up or shut up. I don't suffer fools well.

#30     Jul 24, 2012