Basic options market maker question

Discussion in 'Options' started by Alex the Great, May 1, 2010.

1. gkishot

gkishot

MMs may not charge larger premium but they do determine the size of the bid/ask spread.

#21     May 2, 2010
  2. You're not understanding what I'm saying... as a market maker you charge a premium in vol terms in the big ask for sensitive contracts.

Also I work as a MM... so I think you misunderstood where I was coming from haha.

#22     May 2, 2010
  3. Nope... Sadly I don't have a rich uncle ;)...

#23     May 2, 2010
  4. johnnyc

johnnyc

crook. kidding, what you said makes sense.

#24     May 3, 2010

5. Mark -about ur post .
    "Keep in mind that when everyone buys options, the MM has no good way to hedge risk, other than to get delta neutral with stock. That is not a safe way to hedge a portfolio. "

what is there is results after hours and at the last few seconds of trading. someone comes in and buys a huge Qty of options. what does the MM do. . since there is no time left to attract sellers, how do they reduce exposure.. hedging with stock is not a good way. as , that exposes to infinite theoritical losses.. This definitely must be complicated,: all unbalanced trades.. matching buyers with sellers and taking the spread , does that profit help offset the losses by wild swings for the unbalances unhedged positions?

#25     May 3, 2010