Baseball fan dies trying to catch a foul ball.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Max E., Jul 8, 2011.

1. Max E.

Max E.

Guy fell 20 feet trying to catch a foul ball, There is going to be all kinds of new regulations on stadiums after this... Tragic accident... :(

<embed src="http://www.ebaumsworld.com/player.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" flashvars="id1=81642889" wmode="transparent" width="567" height="345" allowfullscreen="true" />

A Texas Rangers fan died yesterday after falling out of the stands while trying to catch a baseball tossed his way during a game.

The Rangers said the man fell about 6m. Television replays showed him falling head-first and landing behind a 4m wall which supports a video scoreboard.

"We had a very tragic accident tonight and one of our fans lost their life reaching over the rail trying to get a ball," team president Nolan Ryan said. "As an organisation, and as our team members and our staff, we're very heavy-hearted about this, and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family."

A sombre Ryan did not go into details about the accident or release the man's name.

Ronnie Hargis was sitting next to the victim, who was at the game with his young son. The men were talking to each other before the accident.

"He went straight down. I tried to grab him but I couldn't," Hargis said. "I tried to slow him down a little bit."

The accident occurred in the second inning when Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton retrieved a foul ball and tossed it into the stands.

Replays showed the man reaching for the ball and apparently catching it before tumbling.

Former US President George W. Bush was sitting in the front row with Ryan when the accident happened.

Ryan left moments later while Bush remained in his seat. Ryan said the former President, a former co-owner of the club and a frequent visitor to Rangers Ballpark, was aware of what was happening.

- AP

2. Very sad :(

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Oh I don't know. Seems like Darwinism at it's finest to me.

4. Max E.

Max E.

I was kind ofthinking the same thing, but i didnt want to be the first heartless asshole to point it out..... :D

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Do I always have to be the first to say these sorts of things?

For you my man: :D

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1EY7lYRneHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. I actually meant for his little boy. The little guy in red behind him is his son. The guy was probably trying to get the ball for his kid.

7. Max E.

Max E.

Watch the video starting at 18 seconds, it almost looks like the kid shoved his own dad over the rail.....

8. Max E.

Max E.

LOL, chopper Reid is awesome, did you ever see that movie based on him "chopper?" Its One of my favourite movies.

9. no point explaining this to Lucrum

10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Understood (seriously), poor kids last memory of his dad will be watching him acting stupidly.

You can buy a ML baseball for $15 - $20, why fall over the rail trying to catch one?

#10     Jul 8, 2011