Baseball "curve" ball and illusion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Hey, could you check out Cricket ball "swing" for me?

It's something of a mystery, the ball spins on a vertical axis, "normal" swing makes sense, (shiny side/rough side, ball swings in the direction of the rough side, if properly oriented) but there is a phenomena known as reverse swing, which happens after the ball is to worn for normal swing to occur.

Very few bowlers can use it, and very few good theories as to why it occurs.

Before anyone disses cricket, remember it's the only sport where you can aim at the batter, and get the variations of bounce to conk 'em into the bargain.

#11     Oct 17, 2010
  2. Sorry acronym.

I can't help you with that one but if the ball spins then it will curve because velocity is a vector and the rotational velocity is added to the forward velocity on one side and subtracted on the other.

Since the dynamic pressure, q = (.5Rho)(Vsquare), is proportional to the square of the total velocity then pressure is higher on one side than the other side and thus the ball curves. The resultant force due to differential pressure is know as the Magnus force.

#12     Oct 17, 2010
  3. Bugger. That doesn't explain reverse swing at all.
    Always figured there must be a reasonable explanation for it..

Still, If I could have anything on my passport, "aero-ballistician" is right up there.

Cheers, Hoodooman.

#13     Oct 17, 2010