Base Salary + Payout

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by showtime23, Jun 12, 2002.

1. This is valuable information, 99...could you expand on it to the point of adding if there are actual people in these positions and/or if these are open positions at this time?

Are there any written definitions of these titles, and/or qualifications? Just for an example, what job would I be qualified for? (don't even think about what you thinking about saying here..:) ).

As we expand our operations overseas, I would really like to know from where, and to where we can expect traders to come from or leave us for.

Any contact information would be helpful as well.....thanks in advance!!

Don

#51     Jun 20, 2002
  2. trader99

trader99

Don,

You wrote:"Just for an example, what job would I be qualified for? (don't even think about what you thinking about saying here..:) )."

Huh?? How do you know what I was thinking? I wasn't thinking anything. I don't really know the kind of jobs you would be qualified for. Just ask them. :)

But from my experience in US & UK institutions, these are pretty "typical" salaries and job description for various areas. Not just FX. The same goes for equities , FI, derivatives. Though the last two categories(fi, der.) the pay can be a higher since it requires a little more sophistication.

have fun,

#52     Jun 20, 2002
  3. Director of Marketing?...

#53     Jun 20, 2002
  4. Mike777

Mike777

1 GBP = $1.498:D

#54     Jun 20, 2002
  5. trader99

trader99

Yep! The dollar has been declining! Makes the GBP looks even better! 1.3 was the rate I last checked a few months back.

#55     Jun 20, 2002
  6. 99, the reason I asked for a little more detail is that I am really curious it there are those types of positions really available any more....since the "bubble" we have seen most "staff" jobs eliminated in the trading arena.

If by chance you have a contact person or place, I would appreciate it if you would let me know....I would like to make a call just to see how things are going, and job openings are a good way to find out...

Thanks,

Don

#56     Jun 20, 2002
  7. trader99

trader99

The "bubble" you speak of is mostly in equities, M&A, and i-banking(i.e. IPOs), etc.

But in other areas like fixed income, especially, credit derivatives, it's a THRIVING and growing area. As the economy gets worst and more companies go bankrupct, credit derivatives play a crucial role for hedging and speculating. In fact, demand for quants and traders in credit derivative is just exploding. People who can model/trade default swaps, total return swaps, CDOs, CBOs,etc.

And not only that, a new emerging area of weather and energy derivatives are growing too despite Enron's collaspe(perhaps because of it).

so, the hardest areas hit are probably ibanking and equities. F/X is ok. though it's slow nowadays cuz the vol is getting less and less currency to trade cuz of EU. And more of F/X is getting automated therefore less need for dealers/"traders".

I think in 5-10yrs, most of Street will be automated via sophisticated order handling algorithms a la stochastics dynamic programming genre. The days of having human dealers making bid/ask spreads are numbered. For example in very liquid markets like T-bonds, GS and other firms are have fully automated trading for these liquid instruments.

But other illiquid instruments like weather/credit/energy derivatives will need dealers..

#57     Jun 20, 2002
  8. I suspect that many of then now work for or run hedge funds. There are now literally thousands of 2 to 5 man hedge funds. That's a relatively new phenomenon.

Also, many have probably joined some of the larger Quant firms, such as DE Shaw. They continue to do extremely well.

#58     Jun 20, 2002
  9. trader99

trader99

Yep. You are right. The buy side , especially hedge funds, are usually the route for prop traders. It's a better package for them too. And more capital to play with too.

The Street isn't as glamorous as people think.. I rathe rbe running money or trading than serving clients as on teh sell-side.

#59     Jun 20, 2002
  10. A new prop group will be opening in Austin and San Antonio, Texas.

Anybody interested PM me.

Ticker

#60     Jun 20, 2002