Barstool’s Dave Portnoy fires back at ‘used car salesman’ short-seller

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Aug 13, 2020.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

By Noah Manskar

August 12, 2020 | 2:29pm | Updated

human in your face, in your life?
    0:36
    /
    1:25

[​IMG]

Dave Portnoy got into a fiery online spat with a skeptical investor Wednesday over a stock he says he no longer owns.

The Barstool Sports founder kicked off his daily day-trading broadcast on Twitter by tearing into Wolfpack Research short-seller Dan David, who slammed him Tuesday for touting what David called “less than worthless” shares in the tech firm Remark Holdings.

Calling David a “fraud” and a “used car salesman,” Portnoy said he’s dumped all his Remark shares and denied that he’s pushed the stock, which trades under the ticker symbol MARK.

see also
    upload_2020-8-13_9-7-5.gif

Barstool's Dave Portnoy slammed by short-seller over Remark stock

“Now I wanna buy MARK because this guy’s clearly in cahoots against them,” Portnoy said after reading from The Post’s Tuesday report on David’s concerns about Remark, which include alleged ties to a blacklisted Chinese company.

“And by the way, MARK’s up because nobody gives a f— what this guy, who looks like a f–ing doo-doo face, says,” Portnoy added in a five-minute video that’s racked up more than 94,000 views on Twitter. Remark shares climbed slightly in early trading Wednesday but fell 5.4 percent to at $1.76 at the closing bell. This year, however, the stock is up 38 percent.

David fired back from his firm’s Twitter account, calling Portnoy “a pumper scumbag wearing pajamas.”

Enlarge Image
    Barstool Sports founder Dave PortnoyGetty Images
    “When Davey is challenged and knows he is wrong, it’s always the same,” David told The Post in a statement. “He throws around odd insults followed by touting how rich he is. He does zero diligence and provides no specific rebuttal to any of our research.”

Noting that he’s called Remark’s shares the “WOAT” — or “worst of all time” — Portnoy said he hasn’t told anyone to buy them in roughly three months. But he didn’t mention that he boasted about the stock’s gains and his decision to hold onto it three weeks ago.

“Those who stay will become champions!” he said on July 23. “Never sell!”

Remark on Wednesday attacked Wolfpack’s research as “misleading and sloppy,” “flawed and self-serving.”

“We categorically refute the ‘Wolfpack’s’ misleading and sloppy research in an attempt to profit off their short position,” Brian Harvey, Remark’s director of investor relations said in an email.

“We have only spoken with Mr. Portnoy once, and respect his achievements,” Harvey said before adding: “We are focusing on our business and will not be getting into a back-and-forth thereby giving any credibility to their flawed and self-serving conclusions.”

Dave Portnoy came onto the day-trading scene after live sporting events were cancelled due to the coronavirus by detailing his wins and losses in expletive-filled videos. He’s even compared himself to famed investor Warren Buffett.

“There’s nobody who can argue that Warren Buffett is better at the stock market than I am right now,” he boasted in June. “I’m better than he is. That’s a fact.”

https://nypost.com/2020/08/12/barstools-dave-portnoy-slams-wolfpack-research-over-stock-short/

2. SteveM

SteveM

I would just like to remind people that Penn Gaming stock has increased 500% since Dave Portnoy began his carnival-barker/day trader act in April.....which is the intention behind everything else he does: to pump Penn National gaming stock. Which he has tens of millions of dollars riding on. He's like the Don King/Elon Musk hybrid of stock-pumping.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  3. JSOP

JSOP

Ok so the guy just dumped all the shares of a stock that the other guy just said is worthless? Isn't the guy just confirming what the other guy said? Why is he chewing the other guy's head off, aside from perhaps bringing some shock factor, if he just did exactly what the other guy had said? This is the oddest pissing contest that I've ever seen. LOL

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  4. S2007S

S2007S

Why is this guy now all of the sudden everywhere in the news. He opens up a trading account in march and says stocks only go up and now he thinks he is master of all investors?

Clubber Lang and Spooz Top 2 like this.
  5. JSOP

JSOP

Because he knows how to swear in his commentaries and apparently that's entertaining nowaday. LOL

6. S2007S

S2007S

The mentality of this market compared to 1999 during the dot com bubble cant compare. The new traders that are opening up millions of accounts on robinhood and other trading platforms only to believe stocks go up. Most are even trading options and futures. I see the forums and the screen shots of their holdings. The amount of risk these new traders are taking on is unbelievable. Some putting more than 50% of their entire portfolio in options or penny stocks.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  7. S2007S

S2007S

Millenials are all for it.

8. JSOP

JSOP

All the more fodder to us. And maybe we should get into a Big Short ourselves to capitalize on this amount of risk. Only way to teach those young punks to be prudent in life.

apdxyk and Spooz Top 2 like this.
  9. S2007S

S2007S

You really need to take a look at the reddit forums and other trading forums. In the last year I have seen more people I know that never wanted anything to do with stocks open up accounts. Its amazing to see how many people now want on in on this hype.
    One guy I know literally went straight to futures. I was like buddy, good luck. You don't just jump into futures i told him. First try your hand at stocks, but futures with his first account, no way.

10. JSOP

JSOP

Well if he trades small, he might survive while getting a wild ride to realize why he should've listened to you to start with stocks. :) The Big Short then?

#10     Aug 13, 2020