bars vs candles

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Andy62279, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Bars vs Candles... which do you prefer and why?

thanks,
    Andy

2. I preffer candles for basically a user interface reason. They seem to be better for me as far as pulling the trigger. I like good visual feedback and I use a platform that has good 3D candles in real-time that I like :)

3. Candles are my first choice. Easier to pick up on the patterns. For example I've seen bar charts where the stock is in a steady uptrend. Switch to candles and you quickly see there are too many down candles in that run - perhaps lots of opening gaps or something else to raise a red flag. Just couldn't pick that up with the little open/close tic marks on a bar chart.

FWIW

4. If I was a mechanical trader...it shouldn't matter.

However, I am a discretionary trader and the visual impact of Japanese Candlesticks is the only way to go for me.

Simply, candlesticks provides more info about the psychology of the price (fear, greed and any other emotion that's out there).

NihabaAshi

5. Bars for me.

I trade with a standard black ochl bar.

Candles do tend to show the emotion of the market more readily, however, I find it easier to let my decisions be affected by that emotion verses just watching the emotion of the market players.

The color in candles evoke some emotional responses. Red means good or bad and white means good or bad depending on your position.

I find it easier to watch the price action with bars, because bars focus entirely on price.

Sean

6. Candles exclusively. Makes it very easy to spot if the open > close. I designed my trading plan around them.

7. Used candles for first two years but have been using bars the last few months. I just like them better and dont really know why.

8. Thanks everyone. I guess it all has to do with personal preference and your trading objectives... I have more thinking to do. Thanks again for your time.

Andy

9. Melinda

Melinda

I definately prefer candles. I like to see how much of a buying or selling tail they show to see if I want to get into a trade.

10. Melinda

Melinda

I definately prefer candles. I like to see how much of a buying or selling tail they show to see if I want to get into a trade.

#10     Oct 10, 2002