Barron's Online Brokerage Review

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by nitro, Mar 8, 2003.

1. I'd rather IB NOT provide (and charge higher fees) for an integrated charting package. This way traders can choose their own and mix-n-match services. Nobody does everything well anyway so why not let each company do what they do best and we'll choose accordingly. I use esignal, IB and briefing.com and I have yet to find a broker that provides 2 out of the 3 at a decent price all from one source.

And Theresa can wipe her ass with her columns for all I care. She oughta work for CNBC and be just as useful to the serious trader. Scottrade is a joke.

#11     Mar 8, 2003
  2. Magna

Magna Administrator

Wedding a superb, stable, reliable charting program to IB is anything but a no-brainer. I have to agree with AAA, I prefer the flexibility of a separate charting platform and find it doesn't crimp my style whatsoever in using IB for order-entry.

#12     Mar 8, 2003
  3. nitro

nitro

Z,

I have been thinking the same thing. Currently, I have an experimental account with http://www.choicetrade.com Their comissions are incredible (e.g., Bullets .01) with no minimums, but are even more sofware challenged than IB.

It is hard to set up too small an experimental account, as the PDT rule would stop one from really putting to the test. That is why I have $30K at choicetrade...I may have to try PD...Keep me on your update list.

nitro

#13     Mar 8, 2003
  4. nitro

nitro

Good question. IB charges for TWS, which is very minimal software meant for quick order entry (rebated after 30 trades a month.) I would not mind paying a more if they had a first rate charting package like TS or RT (rebated after whatever numbe of trades.)

The reason they have not done it is certainly an allocation of resources issue, coupled with the analysis that adding charting is probagly not going to affect the niche they are goig after. I disagree with that, but it is certainly arguable.

nitro

#14     Mar 8, 2003
  5. Whamo

Whamo

I beleive it's $30 in commissions and it's free.

From IB's site:
    US Securities & Commodities Non-professional Bundle (Includes all Stock, Options and Futures exchanges) Free (10.00 USD Market data fee if less than 30.00 USD in commissions per month)

#15     Mar 8, 2003
  6. nitro

nitro

Yes, I remember that last year as well - we even discussed it here on ET.

I agree that having IB offer a charting package is a double edged sword, especially if you are charged for it and have no choice not to use it and not be charged. However, if it were offered as a "package" the way that pointdirex offers it, where the only difference in price between the levels would be the added cost of the package, would, IMHO, offer the greatest flexibility.

Not sure what you mean by "..a fully integrated package is nice for stocks but not needed for futures and options." I certainly don't agree with that as far as my trading is concerned :confused:

nitro

#16     Mar 8, 2003
  7. nitro

nitro

Yes, I don't even know what it is as my typical comissions for a day pays for 10-20 IB's for a month.

nitro

#17     Mar 8, 2003
  8. nitro

nitro

If I provided a link, you would have to pay for the online version of Barons/WSJ. Best to just pick up a copy if this of interest...

nitro

#18     Mar 8, 2003
  9. nitro

nitro

This was discussed on another thread extensively. I remember 1 1/2 years ago people were saying the same thing about IB. I decided to give IB a try to find out for myself. I am glad I did.

nitro

#19     Mar 8, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

I agree.

nitro

#20     Mar 8, 2003