Barron's: "Net Neutrality could hurt day traders"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by HeSaidSheSaid, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Overnight

Overnight

If the one thing that determines if a day trader is profitable or not is "data speed", then they can bloody CoLo at the exchange and stop WHINING.

This is all HFT WHINING.

#11     Dec 21, 2017
    Arnie likes this.
  2. it seems somebody doesn't understand what net neutrality is and the consequences of the net in-neutrality.

#12     Dec 21, 2017
    comagnum and d08 like this.
  3. I always side with the fact that there is usually money behind politics and basically any gov regulation is really a method of business to regulate out competition... So basically the idea is to limit the customers choice in the name of saving them from fraud and the bad behaviors of some ... When really it's not that at all...it's an instrument of business and gov to limit freedom and to steal from customers by limiting choice

#13     Dec 21, 2017
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Sometimes but not always. Often regulations are designed to avoid information asymmetry that can hurt consumers (like FDA regulations) and there are regulations that might "stifle the free market" but in favor of a better society (like child safety seat regulations).

And then there's the illegalization of hemp just so that DuPont can sell more nylon.

#14     Dec 22, 2017
    cdcaveman likes this.
  5. d08

d08

Exactly.
    Even funnier are the "you can go somewhere else" guys. With most places having 2 available ISPs and some having only one, where you gonna go, eh?
    The future is like this, Verizon says "Elite Trader is not paying us, so that's why it's limited to a speed where opening a website takes 2 minutes". You have nowhere to complain. You can keep watching dumb videos on Facebook though as they will most certainly be paying.

Philippines is open market, there's no net neutrality here and it's a disaster, possibly the worst internet in all of Asia and many websites and services are slowed down to a crawl. People like myself spending days searching for workarounds.
    All of you supporting this, good luck, you're going to need it.

#15     Dec 22, 2017
  6. bone

bone

My only question is did internet speed and availability get better in 2015 as a direct and demonstrable result of Obama administration regulation ? Speaking for myself, I didn’t notice any difference.

The bigger problem as I see it is the municipal franchise system, which exchanges the evils of monopoly for tax revenue.

#16     Dec 22, 2017
    cdcaveman, speedo and truetype like this.
  7. Gambit

Gambit

What ISPs are the big outsourcing centers using? Is it possible to purchase a decent t-1 line there?

#17     Dec 22, 2017
  8. bone

bone

It’s possible that in his particular unfortunate case “net neutrality” really is of little consequence if there isn’t any decent ECN infrastructure to speak of there to begin with. From what I can tell in the early 20th Century Manila was a crown jewel. I think the Japanese occupation during WW2 really hurt Manila - not sure if it’s really ever recovered. US hegemony only encouraged corrupt political regimes - and as we know, systemic corruption and free open modern infrastructure are mutually exclusive.

I would love to see the Makati financial district become a more formidable challenge to Hong Kong and Singapore.

I wonder how many traders moved to the Dominican Republic financial District for tax purposes only to get washed out to sea . That’s a scary thought.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    #18     Dec 22, 2017
  9. d08

d08

T1 is 1.5mbit, I certainly hope they're not using it nowadays nor would I. I have no idea what the outsourcing companies are using, I doubt they care about throttling because the services that are throttled are mostly used by retail clients. It's always easy to screw a bunch of people who torrent at home (even if the torrents are legal) compared to messing with a big outsourcing company with lawyers.

My trading isn't one millisecond sensitive and I haven't really suffered from these policies but it certainly makes life harder when it comes to other services. It's blatantly obvious that the only purpose is to fill the pockets of ISPs and nothing else.

Europe has a regulated ISP market and the service quality is very high. Banning torrenting or at least attempting to is legal in the Philippines, in Europe this would be strictly illegal as done here. Many other websites function slowly because they are high bandwidth users from the ISP point of view. This is the future for US users.

#19     Dec 22, 2017
    Gambit likes this.
  10. sle

sle

Simple example. Before 2015 my ISP had a blanket block on VPN connections to unknown IP, including with my private server that has numeric IP only. They might decide to block specific protocols completely, for example, bit torrent.

#20     Dec 22, 2017