Baron's Journey to Single-Digit Bodyfat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I pretty much hit a plateau during the fall so right now during the holidays I'm just trying to remain in a holding pattern without going too far out of range. I think that's about the most realistic outcome I can hope to achieve at this time of the year. My wife's birthday was a couple of weeks ago so I took her on a mini-vacation to celebrate, and we have had nonstop Christmas parties going on this past week, and it looks like there's a bunch more on the calendar. There's two of them tonight for crying out loud.

Anyway, I took this picture this morning. I'm hanging on but honestly, I'm not where I wanted to be. It seems like the last few months have been a complete stall. It's pretty annoying to say the least.

baron_dec_12.png

#491     Dec 12, 2019
  2. Certain calisthenic exercises, done properly, can be just as effective as some of the best bodybuilding exercises. So what is the distinction that you are looking to make?

As for rock climbing, I imagine you have to be quite strong to do it well. But I would think that rock climbing is hardly the most efficient way to get strong.

#492     Dec 12, 2019
  3. I think anything high intensity would achieve the fat burning goal and that can be through weightlifting, sprints, rowing machine, etc..

#493     Dec 16, 2019
  4. I wouldn't be too upset if I were you, Baron. You're quite lean and, as you had previously pointed out elsewhere, doing far better than any of your friends anywhere near your age group.

After reaching a certain level of leanness, the additional effort to achieve (and then maintain) minor improvement becomes more burdensome and is just not worth it. I guess we each have to decide on our own sweet spot.

#494     Dec 16, 2019
  5. Deja vu?

#495     Dec 17, 2019
    Pekelo likes this.
  6. luisHK

luisHK

Lol, that was weird

#496     Dec 17, 2019
  7. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

I want to say this was the most beneficial thread to me since I've been on ET. A decline in my fathers health set me off on some crazy binge eating where I gained a considerable amount of weight in a brief period of time. Something about this thread hit me like a punch in the face and set me back on track. For the past two weeks I have been in hyper cardio mode, and after a five year hiatus started running again. Stopped the damn binge eating, went clean proteins and tons of veggies, and already took most of it back off. Surprisingly, I'm running with ease and no pains, nothing big so far, just little 5mi clips at a mellow pace, but it's nice to be running again.
    Single digits, that's my new goal.
    Thanks!:thumbsup:

#497     Dec 17, 2019
    Baron likes this.
  8. Wheezooo

Wheezooo

10 days since previous post. Tennis 3 times, ran 5 times. Nice easy pacing a 135 hr. Going to increase distance a touch jan1. Stay at that for 1 month. No injuries. No soreness. Not being my usual stupid self, adding mileage and speed too fast or sprinting my last half mile and pulling groin, calf, hamstring.

So, almost ready to body fat test and question is, without going through 50 pages on this thread, has there been a preferred method suggested for accuracy vs simplicity vs availability??
    Thanks!

#498     Dec 26, 2019
  9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I did DEXA scans, but that method didn't seem to do very well in detecting changes in bodyfat over time from the initial scan. Getting your bodyfat checked by someone who is certified in using calipers is probably the best method.

#499     Dec 26, 2019
    Wheezooo likes this.
  10. I thought that made sense, and had been thinking about it recently. But it turns out that you may not need to time the eating of grains and legumes quite so carefully:

https://www.nationalpeanutboard.org/news/can-you-get-enough-protein-from-plant-foods.htm

...eating grains and plant protein together is not necessary at every meal or snacktime. The body creates protein over a 24-hour period, NOT everytime you chow down. In other words, as long as the complementary proteins are eaten within the same day, the body accepts them as complete proteins.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    #500     Mar 20, 2020