Baron's Journey to Single-Digit Bodyfat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Visaria

Visaria

True. But he has this goal of sub 10% BF. There's a price to be paid to achieve this. That's the way it is.

#341     Apr 2, 2019
  2. @Baron Interesting DEXA results and following discussion you had there.
    What was your body fat in lbs the first time and the second time?

#342     Apr 2, 2019
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

23.9 lbs the first time and 24.6 lbs the second time. :banghead:

#343     Apr 3, 2019
  4. Assuming for the moment that the reading (and even the trend) was accurate, then consider your exercise activity level. If you consider that what you are doing now is not enough to even maintain your current body fat percentage, since you are planning to increase the amount of exercise that you do, then consider how much more you will need to do to maintain a fairly unnatural single digit body fat percentage level once you get there. Is that an ongoing commitment you're prepared to make?

I know that genetics vary between and among people. Even so, when you consider how, say, Clarence Bass maintained a body fat level well below 10% for years, you may wish to give your current dietary and exercise strategy another look. Sure you may need to deviate from his approach to suit your own genetics and reach your own end, but presently the difference between your approaches is fairly night and day. Just saying.

#344     Apr 3, 2019
  5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Losing fat requires going into a calorie deficit on a consistent basis. Maintaining a certain weight requires that you hover somewhere around maintenance calories (adjusted for activity level) on a daily basis. That's a big difference.

Not sure what you mean by that. The diet I've been on came straight out of Clarence's book I bought.

#345     Apr 3, 2019
  6. Okay. I just thought your diet was fairly restrictive apart from "cheat" days. Perhaps those days added up, as Visaria alluded.

If you're following Bass's diet, I can't imagine why you'd need to up your activity level even more. I read Bass's latest book a few years ago, so I don't recall his diet offhand. But I was under the general impression that it included more carbs than does your diet. (I don't know how your fat intake compares.) I didn't think his diet left him with an urge to stray from it with any regularity.

Regardless, you're doing far better than average, so I imagine your approach just needs a bit of tweaking, if anything.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    #346     Apr 3, 2019
  7. Not even one lbs of difference. In other words: you have remained on maintenance level.
    You know what that means: if you want to reduce fat mass, you need to create a caloric deficit and keep it that way. I believe that you already mentioned that your carbs intake is rather low. That means that you will have to focus more on fat intake, and reduce it. And you need to focus on spending more calories: doing more cardio. It's all pretty basic, and I'm sure that you are aware of these things.

#347     Apr 3, 2019
  8. Up the carbs, lower the fat, eliminate all elective sugars, stop all extended length cardio and replace with walking.

#348     Apr 3, 2019
  9. This was one of the "positives" of creatine in that it would pull water into your muscles and make them "fuller" and when you stopped using it, it would flush out fluid to a small extent.

#349     Apr 3, 2019
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I read somewhere that typically you need 12 or 13 calories per pound for maintenance of your weight if not exercising. Thus a person weighing 300 pounds would eventually weigh 200 pounds simply by consuming roughly 2500 calories a day.

#350     Apr 3, 2019