Baron's Journey to Single-Digit Bodyfat

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Fair enough. Although I personally couldn't imagine a diet that doesn't include lentils and beans.

#231     Feb 12, 2019
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

At 17 mins is the relevant part about what we burn when fasting:

#232     Feb 12, 2019
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Most lentils and beans have a low Glycemic load, so they would be fine for what I'm doing. I've used some black beans on occasion but that's about it.

#233     Feb 12, 2019
    Frederick Foresight likes this.
  4. Visaria

Visaria

One drawback with going very lean is that other people, especially fat(tter) people will ask you if you are ill.

#234     Feb 12, 2019
  5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

That just shows you how screwed up our society is. When most people view somebody in shape as looking sick, that's because they are so accustomed to seeing overweight people everywhere else.

#235     Feb 13, 2019
  6. Unfortunately I can give you only one like for this remark. The forum software won't allow me to like it even more.

#236     Feb 13, 2019
  7. Visaria

Visaria

Yes, absolutely. In the UK two thirds of the adult population is deemed to be overweight with a third deemed to be obese. I assume something similar, perhaps worse in the US.

Just last week i went to see my car mechanic, a chap I haven't seen for maybe a year. This guy with a paunch and fat dripping from his face has the temerity to ask me if I was ill!

#237     Feb 13, 2019
  8. I just finished watching a documentary series called "DOCS: Weight Loss Ward" on YouTube about a specialized hospital in Sunderland. It was scary to watch, and quite an eye-opener.

#238     Feb 13, 2019
  9. NQurious

NQurious

Then again, there is a big difference between someone who is lean with large lean muscle mass and someone who is lean but looks like empty skin stretched over a bony frame. I look at Arnold in his prime or Frank Zane, and the last thing I think is "my, don't they look ill."

I doubt Baron has to worry about anyone mistaking him for a consumptive.

#239     Feb 15, 2019
    Baron likes this.
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

I did a research for another thread, and I found this slightly relevant info:

"This finding may explain recent studies suggesting that eating less may, in fact, raise ROS (reactive oxygen species) levels – and, in doing so, provide protection from acute doses of oxidants. This is counter to the hypothesis that caloric restriction extends lifespan in some species because it reduces ROS produced as a by-product of the energy regenerated by mitochondria.

"It may be that adaption to oxidative stress is the main factor responsible for the lifespan-expanding effects of caloric restriction," "

I will try to explain what it means. Earlier they thought that calorie restriction expands life because it reduces ROS. It turned out that it actually increases ROS, but that is not a bad thing, because in small doses it helps the body to adapt to it, so when the big ROS shows up, the body suffers less damage.

Sorry for the interruption, please continue...

#240     Feb 15, 2019