Baron . . .

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by waggie945, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why don't you just come out and tell us who your "select few" are. It really seems as though you want to.

And why don't you be more specific about where YOU think the problem lies.

#21     Dec 16, 2003
  2. The "select few" are the same people over and over again who disrupt threads, turning legit topics into nothing more than ego-building playgrounds.

It's obvious that they use multiple personalities, since the posting manner is similar.

I don't have time, space or inclination to sit here and list the culprits; active Elite readers know damn well who they are as well as the moderators.

As mentioned earlier, either enfore the site's (formerly) high standards or just keep going as is and pretty soon this will become Infant Trader.

Tech

#22     Dec 16, 2003
  3. I couldn't agree with you more!

INFANT-TRADER.COM is coming soon to this board due to the fact that there are so many huge idiotic egos here that use MULTIPLE SCREEN NAMES to post.

If it doesn't stop, this site will be doomed.
    Pure and simple.

#23     Dec 16, 2003
  4. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

No this site is not doomed.
    Use your ignore button.
    It is the best way to deal with junk posts.
    You can tell after 20 posts what the new kid is going to be like.
    Heck, sometimes you can tell after 1.:)

#24     Dec 16, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

And as has been pointed out ad nauseum, the Ignore feature doesn't work. You still get the post, even though you have to click twice to read it, and the post more often than not gets quoted by somebody, so you wind up reading it anyway.

The Ignore button doesn't work for you, Cathy. Why should it work for anyone else?

#25     Dec 16, 2003
  6. yes, ad nauseum.

#26     Dec 16, 2003
  7. dbphoenix, you're kinda bitchy

#27     Dec 16, 2003
  8. Baron

Baron ET Founder

The ignore feature works as intended. I have not heard of a solution to fix it. The problem with the post being quoted by somebody else is not really something that's fixable in this format.

And please do not come back with that line about Yahoo having a "true ignore", because that is load of crap. The ONLY reason why Yahoo's ignore seems to work is because their system is so archaic that you can't even quote another user's post to begin with! That's why Yahoo doesn't even have to worry about an ignored user's post being quoted by someone else. And if you don't believe me, try it yourself the old fashioned way. Go to a Yahoo board and copy a portion of a users post and then paste it in your reply message and post it. Then put that user on ignore and tell me if the portion of their post that you copied and pasted into your post miraculously disappears. It won't.

The reality of the situation is that I could create a much better ignore system tomorrow by simply removing the ability to quote someone else's post. But in my opinion, having a true ignore is not worth the removal of the quote feature.

#28     Dec 16, 2003
  9. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Now there's an idea.

#29     Dec 17, 2003
  10. Magna

Magna Administrator

I remember ET when there was no Ignore feature and people were clamoring for one. Baron fulfilled that request and everyone was delighted to finally be able to ignore bothersome posters. Times have changed I guess, and now a few members prefer to focus on the limitations of the current system. Is it perfect? No. Does it do a very respectable job of shielding you from the flotsam & jetsam you don't want to read? Yes.

#30     Dec 17, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.