Baron, let's address this "edit" thing please!

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by rubberbird, Jan 19, 2006.

How long should an "edit" be allowed?

1. only 10 minutes, like it is now

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. 30 minutes sounds like a fair compromise

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. more than 30 minutes please!!

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkhoi

nkhoi

and I here I am thinking you are the most lay back guy playing game when waiting for your trade :) as far as deleting post any time, imagine grob109 fly off the handle and decide to delete all his posts. That will leave too many holes and make the thread illegible.

#31     Jan 22, 2006
  2. I would like a thread started by a multiple alias to be deleted when another multiple alias posts in that thread.That would stop a tremendous amount of rubbish.

#32     Jan 25, 2006
  3. I'm not sure I agree. As it is, there is no lack of poseurs here at ET. If they could selectively delete any posts at any time, consider the effect this could have on the "batting average" of their "market calls." Not that this would affect me personally in any way, since I neither make them nor follow them. But there appears to be a sufficient number of hangers-on who regard some of the people here as gurus. And while I know that people get mugged every day in this world and there is little I can do about it, I hate to see it happen right in front of me.

Occasionally, in the past, I had written an angry post or two. The next day or so, when I had come to my senses, I pressed the complaint button on my own post and asked that my post be kindly deleted from the thread since it did not contribute to it. Thus far, the moderators have been accommodating, and for this I am grateful. However, my foolish posts were standalone. I don't think moderator-assisted deletions should always be the allowed. For example, if there are two "dueling" posters having a theoretical or philosophical argument and one of them subsequently puts his foot in it, I don't think that he should be able to delete it beyond a short time period, thereby recreating history after the fact insofar as the "debate" is concerned. Further, I don't think that market calls should ever be allowed to be deleted or modified. Of course, I have no idea how such things could be adequately monitored. As far as market calls are concerned, perhaps any posts bearing numerals should not be allowed to be altered, ever.

#33     Jan 25, 2006
  4. After experimenting with the new rule, we're starting to see the costs versus the gains.

<b><font color=navy>Costs</font></b>
    We are starting to see a compromise with the quality or accuracy of information shared. Some recent examples:
    <blockquote><i>You know, this new time limit for posting (10 min) doesn't seem to work for me. If you don't mind, I would rather have you PM me with your additional questions.</i> -- steve46
    http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=965405#post965405</blockquote><blockquote>
    <i>Stupid 10 min rule:
    I should have added this (new version just out):
    http://new.scipy.org/Wiki/SciPy</i> -- nononsense
    http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=965545#post965545
    </blockquote><b><font color=navy>Gains</font></b>
    It is more difficult for the losers in this forum to cheat on their intraday calls but
    <b>a.</b> The gains are not worth the costs
    <b>b.</b> There are other solutions to that problem:<blockquote><i>b.i.</i> Since that kind of problem happens in the extremely active <i>Trading</i> forum, there will always be at least one guy to notice and report the change;

<i>b.ii.</i> With a simple software enhancement we could have an additional timestamp at the bottom of the post for the LAST edit. I've seen that before.

<i>b.iii.</i> The people cheating on their calls are probably already on the smart people's <i>Ignore List</i>.
    </blockquote>

#34     Jan 29, 2006
  5. This is not a fricken chatroom with trade calls...its an archive for discussion!

Please at least return the 60 minute rule if not 24 hours...

#35     Jan 29, 2006
  6. nitro

nitro

I have no problem with the ten minute rule. Make it 1 minute even - that would probably enforce a discipline that would promote good habits in critical thinking imo.

And if it did bother me, I would use notepad or the like, then post by copying and paste.

nitro

#36     Jan 29, 2006
  7. I have no problem with the sixty or zero minute rule, even if I tend to re-edit my posts 3 or 4 times afterward because of my poor communications skills, but when I see good contributors (generating a lot of information and hits) having problems with it, then I also have a problem with it, and don't care anymore about philosophical questions about <i>how things should be in my world</i>.

#37     Jan 29, 2006
  8. Problem is that the new rule doesn't prevent at all members from cheating on their calls; as I stated earlier the mkt moves in 10min and if someone wants to change their posts will do in min after posting, 'cause after that it would become too obvious.

#38     Jan 30, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.