Baron can we revoke some members?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by bobcathy1, Jul 1, 2003.

1. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

I am a little surprised I did not get more people to add to this letter to Baron. I certainly get plenty of PMs.
    I guess it is maybe because we have given up?
    Or it is just old news?

I have almost left so many times due to personal attacks.
    I have an ignore list a mile long at this point.

I am going to give it a rest now.:(

#11     Jul 2, 2003
  2. Well, if you revoke members, Optional777 would be banned for his crude but funny comments...

Nitro would be banned for his little sarcasm...

Bobcathy would be banned for his/her little joking comments...

Let's keep it the way it is...

#12     Jul 2, 2003
  3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Anyone who's done this for any length of time knows that any given event always blows over. The flap over JR is basically forgotten, and even though Mr. Market is especially aggressive, these people always run out of energy at some point. That point may come long after you've run out of patience, but it does come.

The difficulty arises when disruptors are made to feel welcome, either intentionally or through laissez-faire, as with the Yahoo boards. If that were to occur here, there would be no difference between this board and the Yahoo boards.

Mr. Market is an unusual case. Some of his posts are intelligent and thoughtful, and they elicit intelligent and thoughtful responses, except for those who have a knee-jerk reaction to him. Other of his posts are clearly intended to do nothing more than rile the members and create chaos, particularly when he opens up multiple threads just for the sake of irritating people. So what would you do?

As for the Jesse J clones and all those who have multiple aliases, they're relatively easy to ignore because they never have anything substantive to say, i.e., one doesn't feel that he's giving up anything by putting them on Ignore.

Maybe you just need to take a break from all this.

#13     Jul 2, 2003
  4. I agree wholeheartedly. I remember disagreeing with her/him/it/them on some World War III thread. LOL, now that was a good one.

#14     Jul 2, 2003
  5. who never add a shread of anything

dookie and or skrilla manilla,,,,, 1 in the same

#15     Jul 2, 2003
  6. bobcathy1,

I personally feel somethings are allowed so that there's a little controversy.

Seriously though...the following would make things so much nicer here:

1. ET ignore feature basically is inadequate.

What exactly is the point of putting a name on the ignore list when you can still see them starting threads and posting messages?

(just as annoying).

Why is it that Baron can't set it up so that the ignored names don't appear at all?

Doing the above...that's a true ignore list.

Think about it...its like arguing with somebody face to face and suddenly they can't talk (ignored)...yet you can still see their face...you still know there right their in front of you moving there lips but no words are coming out...

still annoying...ET ignore feature is doing half the job.

2. At several other discussion forums...many spam website links can't even be posted.

How come ET doesn't have this feature?

As soon as a poster posts his/her message with the link of a banned website...the post never appears...its automatically deleted.

Same with certain profanity words.

It catches rude posters by surprise when they spend 5mins preparing a detailed message along with a few choice words...then click the Submit Reply button to find out their post can't be posted.

If anything...their should be a GARBAGE Thread for posts that got removed for profanity or abusive behaviour to automatically sent to...allowing the author a chance to edit their own post and resubmit it back in the original thread.

PROFANITY is allowed at ET...even if you use the complain button...the offensive post (personal attack) will not be removed in many cases. This makes me believe that some moderators are making a judgement call on profanity.

3. I still think showing the IP address below the names or at the top of the posts will prevent many of the junk around here.

It won't solve everything...but it will solve a lot.

4. Small registration fee of $1 dollar will eliminate a lot of the other junk and members wanting to register a second user name (forum alias) to the same credit card...will have prior alias listed in their profile automatically.

I know one unpopular forum doing this so I know it can be done along with some of the above suggestions I've made.

If not...Baron should do some beta testing with some members to see how things goes...

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see things have worsen around here at ET...

more disruptive behaviour, more antagonistic behaviour...even moderators are getting in the ring.

P.S. I just saw a thread with useless profanity and a personal attack get deleted right before my eyes...

maybe there's hope after all :cool:

NihabaAshi

#16     Jul 2, 2003
  7. nitro

nitro

$1 and the credit card must NOT be on file.

Asta la vista to all the maggots - you vont be baaahk

nitro

#17     Jul 2, 2003
  8. Cathy (and all),

I share your frustrations with the direction this site is headed. It seems like more and more posters are wankers and the people that have something to contribute don't bother since (as RS# said) there is NO upside. You just leave yourself open to attacks.

Limiting aliases would be ideal, but it can't (easily) be done without infringing on privacy issues. Perhaps this isn't the answer - though I'd love to see a max of one alias per ISP. I own 3 web sites - I could make hundreds of aliases using different addresses if I wanted to!

Personally I'd like to see more focused trading related threads with an expanded chitchat area to house all the crap people seem to need to post on trading threads. The rule of thumb should be - if it isn't a CONTRIBUTION don't post!

Maybe Baron could block people's ISP for 48 hours?

#18     Jul 3, 2003
  9. The problem is maturity. Adults need not be told not to curse because they know when it is and is not appropriate. It seems that ET is being ever more populated by children, it seems kids like the internet and forums even if they know nothing about the subject matters for which they were designed. Age limitations would be difficult to apply, and since maturity is not always a function of time it is probably not worth attempting. I think those with something of value to offer will find one another and congregate accordingly.

This was much of what I had in mind a few months ago when I attempted to start a systems idea trading group. Somehow the idea got changed to one of 'giving away profitable systems,' but the intent was to form a group of individuals who desired to exchange ideas of value - either via ET or otherwise.

That being said, a few may view me as a part of the problem, I may be. Under normal conditions I'd feel more comfortable with having attempted humor in an otherwise serious discussion - it can help to keep things flowing not to be serious at every turn. However, given the inundation of nonsense (excuseable in Chit Chat I hope) it has become difficult to suggest anything even the slightest bit off topic without running the risk of derailment by 3rd party kiddies.

P.S. BobCathy, there's still hope so don't leave yet. Uhoh...maybe you can't see this. If so....[place insult here]:)

P.S. dbphoenix, I looked up codswallop, good for me, and am disturbed. Which was nonsense? The censorship leads to creativity was serious. K. Kieslowski, famous Polish filmaker made films in communist Poland and post-communist Poland. I'll paraphrase, but in his autobiography he described the communist censorship more condusive to his art. He observed that under Communist censorship he was still able to get his points across if he did so subtly. The key fact was that his audience was looking for these subtle cues and reading between the lines. Under the post-communist, democratic regime he was able to say or do anything he liked except no one was listening. I've heard the same from an economics professor who worked to convert the now post-communist european countries. His similar observations involved published economics papers whose authors were unable to criticize the current regime and yet were the part of an quasi-underground economic planning movement working towards the 'controlled economy' - 'free economy' transition.

#19     Jul 3, 2003
  10. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

All of these are great suggestions.

I appreciate the feedback.

I think maybe a creative solution may to place "Chit Chat" on the top of the list and put "Trading" next. Seems most of these children like to have their posts on the top of the list. Let them have their top billing maybe?
    And I do definitely like "Chit Chat". I can relax before and after the trading day and have some fun. And Yannis posts some great jokes.

I have learned so much from the forums and met so many wonderful people. That is why I care about this site enough not to just quit, but to try and help work through these problems.

Cathy and Bob

#20     Jul 3, 2003