BARON; 1st Amendment Rights

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by axehawk, Mar 27, 2002.

1. axehawk

axehawk

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

How is it that firms like ETG and Hold Brothers can just threaten this site and suffocate our freedom of speech? This is a goddamn outrage! :mad:

If they don't like the truth (or non-truth) then too bad! It is our God-given right to organize and speak freely.

Baron, I know you don't want to get tangled up financially in court, but its time to tell these hustlers to f*#$ off!

I am not a constitutional lawyer. Feel free to tell me if I'm way out of line, or if I'm the only one that feels this way.

AXE:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

axehawk, freedom of speech means you (I mean yourself) can start a web site and say whatever you want.
    It does not mean that a website, magazine or similar must let you write whatever you want to.
    And yes, the other side of free speech is that anyone can sue you too for what you say. So you are free to say but liable at the same time if a court decides so.

EliteTrader's policy is very very very clear when you sign in and the detailed policy as well. I think too many members just click 'I agree' and don't care. It's silly and not responsible. Baron and moderators do take it very seriously on the other hand.

3. Axe,

I do believe in freedom of speech but this should not be a forum for libel/defamatory statements.

I don't know about you but I dont want to read a bunch of garbage and false statements. It is a waste of my time trying to weed out the true posts from the defamatory posts.

I think that the elitetrader site is great but because there is no identity behind user names it is very convenient for people to make libel statements. Therefore, I put little credence in a lot of the ratings. Disgruntle traders can create numerous login names and bash any firm. And owners of firms can do the same to pump up their firms.

I think that if elite trader charged a small fee of say $5 for the year it would prohit people from creating multiple usernames. Furthermore charging a $5 dollar fee via credit card would create an identity for the users and probably eliminate many of these bull*^#% posts.

4. Why don't you just ignore the firm ratings?

Use this site long enough and you will get a vibe for who is legit and who isn't.

PS - axe baby, you gotta relax!

5. axehawk

axehawk

Guys,

I am definitely NOT promoting libelous or false statements about these prop firms. What pisses me off is them making one phone call to get their thread removed from this forum. Yeah, I’m sure there is a lot of disgruntled/blown-up traders that slam their old firm a little too hard (because they’re looking for someone to blame other than themselves). But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to hear everyone’s story. The broker ratings should be limited to only the traders that make a million dollars a year.

AXE

6. aren't you taking all this just a little too seriously?

7. axehawk

axehawk

8. why don't you let baron run *his* site the way he sees fit, and you concern yourself with *your* affairs?

9. Why do you assume that the postings are false? I have read every post and can attest that I have gone through the same experiences as them. I like to remain anonymous. Hold has filed suits against many traders and I don't want them bothering me. You can get an idea of the way they operate by the way they used their legal department to bully this site. I have read the postings on other firms and none have created the same degree of pissed off traders as Hold Brothers; that has to tell you something. From seeing the way Hold Brothers handles criticism you have to admire a guy like Don Bright who answers posts back and does not try to censure negative opinions on his firm. It does not matter much anyway, in a few months they will join the rank of Harbor, Block and all of the other day trading firms that are just memories.

10. Bryan Roberts

Bryan Roberts Guest

i couldn't agree more!!!!! If hold brothers is actually trying to enforce their "non-competes" then they deserve all the criticism that was/is directed at them. it is such a terrible business decision for so many reasons, it really puts them in a league by themselves. i don't blame baron for removing them from the ratings list.......we are free to discuss them here in this format.

#10     Mar 28, 2002