Barett Jackson Car Auction-lower Prices This Year?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by dsq, Jan 16, 2008.

1. dsq

dsq

Yup,sector rotation...2 yrs ago boss 429s were 100k at bj-tim allen bot or sold a white one for 117k.
    Whats kinda weird is this year craig jackson is getting on the mike when a car is doing poorly and saying 'this car is way underpriced, a bargain at this price,selling for under value etc...'

#21     Jan 19, 2008
  2. Not own anything in the way of old cars, but admit, I have salivated for years over some day having a really good condition late 60s Camaro...

#22     Jan 19, 2008
  3. Yeah I noticed that too, where Jackson would say this car or that car was way under valued. The value is the price someone is willing to pay at that particular time, just like the morkets you may think it's worth more but if you don't have a buyer willing to pay a higher price your out of luck. Also noticed there was not near as many million dollar cars as in years past, I think the highest one I saw was 1.6 mil. Definitly a softer market.

#23     Jan 20, 2008
  4. agpilot

agpilot

To all: Talk about a trip down memory lane. The first car above $5,000. that I saw was a new late '65 Corvette on the dealer showroom. A couple months later I owned it (with5K miles on it) It had the first big block engine. A 396 425 HP. I could get 0-60 in 5 seconds and various books I've read since agree with that. I later had 4 more Vettes from '65 to '72. Enjoyed them all and made a little $ on all 5 of them.
    But the best money maker would have been a WW2 P-51 Mustang fighter. I had an airplane at the time and was offered a P-51 in flying condition for $7,500. (That was one and a half new Corvettes) I debated that P-51 for weeks. 50 plus gallons per hour. Huge repair bills possible. Insurance outta site. I finally passed. Now you can't think about buying one. Several million?
    ...but at the time there was no indication what-so-ever that they were going to increase in value that much. My view was also biased toward flying rather then storing it.... so goes life.
    but it was fun to just have owned many other classic cars and airplanes and being young enough to use them. Looking at a stored machine is a lot different then getting out and using it. Thanks for the interesting topic.... agpilot

#24     Jan 20, 2008
  5. I hate to sound like a prick, but you guys don't understand what your talking about.

First off, those hemi's, shelbys, etc are junk cars. Those is the know know the history of some of this trash and they are not cars a true investor/collector would buy.

I'm not saying the market isn't down. It is and in a big way. But to suggest the price of true investment grade Hemi's is crashing is plain ridiculous.

This isn't the stock market. Is the collectable market and there is a HUGE difference. In collectables, whether it be cars, coins, stamps, you name it, there is and always will be a super premium placed on the best of the best. The truely unique if you will. What your seeing at BJ and in the Muscle car mkt in particular is that cars that were once grossly overvalued are coming back to reality.

Btw, I think I heard Shelby's car went for 675K??..If thats true someone overpaid, imo. As for Ron Pratt and his friends, I know these guys and many others. They will never run out of money to buy what they want. The guy that gets killed here is the bozo who paid 75K for 69 z/28 two years ago. Not a particularly special car and most( like all Chevys) have no documentation. You stay away from crud like that if you know what your doing.

ps. Hey Boss302. Cool car. I used to own a 70 302. I sold it to Colin in Milwaukee(maybe you know who i'm refering to?). Anyway, he found me a sweet Ram Air IV Gto once so I gave him a nice deal in return. Guess I should've keep the goat but oh well.

pss..for those who care you may want to check out www.yenko.net a site where knowledgable collectors post. Apparently they are surprised at how high the prices are this year considering the lack of quality.

#25     Jan 20, 2008
  6. dsq

dsq

In collectables, whether it be cars, coins, stamps, you name it, there is and always will be a super premium placed on the best of the best. The truely unique if you will. What your seeing at BJ and in the Muscle car mkt in particular is that cars that were once grossly overvalued are coming back to reality."

and 'junk' like undocumented shelbys and the whole mania is why your car is worth 200k.If it werent for junk collectors your yenko would be worth 15-30k like it was back in the 80s just the same as ls6 or kr500's...a rising tide floats all boats...

one thing that is really bad in car collecting is restoration...if you strip a car and put together as new in my opinion its ruined...just like when you strip or clean antique furniture,old fenders/gibsons or old coins-they lose 90% of their value.When i see rotisserie restoration and new paint i cringe.I laugh when i see these guys placing original chalk marks-how absurd!That is just faking something that can never be re-done.I would never buy a restored classic Just leave it as is with original mojo.

...90% of the z28's and 57chevys are being sold with bogus intake setups...and god knows what else...i wouldnt buy at bj either cause its just con artist restorers selling fake clones to gullible suckers.

#26     Jan 21, 2008
  7. Thanks for nice posting and I am impressing about this post.
    ===========================================

Andrew William

auto auctions

#27     Sep 8, 2008
  8. The moral of the story is...

You shouldn't be investing stuff based on second hand trend. So why not go for baseball cards or comics....

They've got investment value and no one's been talking about their bubble....

How about... Sports Memorabilia... ebay has some active markets for these and it's quite liquid.

#28     Sep 8, 2008
  9. so that is why you decided to spam an 8 month dead thread?

#29     Sep 9, 2008
  10. I was thinking of investing in a couple of fresh off the line TaTa's and storing them for 30 years. My wife says they will sag in value as they are not considered real. What say you guys? TaTa's or ?

#30     Sep 9, 2008