Barbara Corcoran says majority of her Shark Tank companies won’t make it through coronavirus

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by guru, Apr 1, 2020.

1. guru

guru

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/barb...-it-through-coronavirus-trough-120214825.html
    =====
    As progress is being made on getting the roughly $350 billion in dedicated stimulus loans and grants to small business owners around the country, Shark Tank’s Barbara Corcoran is warning that it might not be enough to prevent many beloved startups from shuttering.

Speaking to Yahoo Finance’s YFi PM on Tuesday, the investor and entrepreneur highlighted the fact that businesses she’s directly backed have already been forced to lay off between 25% to 30% of their employees in the past two weeks alone.

“That's a lot of people, and so unless something happens that's dramatic that turns this around, which we’re all hoping for the stimulus bill to do that, that translates into a very high unemployment rate,” she said. “Every one of my entrepreneurs are planning to apply for help. I'm wondering how long the help will go on.”

Whether the businesses Corcoran is invested in receive help or not, looking at the size of the slowdown and the timeline of states lifting prolonged lockdown orders, the Shark Tank host estimates that a majority of her investments will fail to make it through the slowdown.

“The smart ones are shifting their models, they are getting more creative,” she said. “The smart ones will come through, but the great majority of investments I made, I don't expect them to make it honestly through this trough. I just don't.”

“We'll see what Friday brings,” Corcoran said. “I have many small businesses that have been applying and [they] are having a hard time even applying for the help.”

One of Corcoran’s Shark Tank investments most impacted by the coronavirus shutdown has been Cousins Maine Lobster, a seafood truck and restaurant business that’s been grappling with a drop in foot traffic. A quick shift to focus on neighborhood delivery has slowed the bleeding for the time being, Corcoran says.

“Their sales were off almost 70%,” she said. “Now, they're off 40%, that’s a sizeable difference.”

Meanwhile, just like the major corporations that have stepped up to address the shortage of medical supplies, Corcoran says small business owners have stepped up, too. Snackfood startup Pipcorn, another company the shark invested in on the show, is donating snacks to nurses and doctors in the New York area.

“It’s interesting that the people who have in small business sometimes the least resources but the most conviction find a way to help out,” she said. “And these are exactly the entrepreneurs I am not the least bit worried about because they have a great way of standing on their feet and making room for the next guy and really making a difference.”
    =====

2. SteveH

SteveH

Let's not forget though that the majority of Shark Tankers are globalists through and through.
    They sell the US out to China every chance they get.

Clubber Lang likes this.
  3. guru

guru

I’ve seen some of their businesses insisting on producing in the US, while others may not be able to compete when someone else produces cheaper. Their businesses are just a slice of all small businesses. So this may be a good sample of variety of businesses that will fail and the number of employees that will be laid off. And I’d assume the impact on non-globalist may be worse.

4. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Boo hoo. That's why I trade stocks and ETFs :p

5. Cuddles

Cuddles

hindsight is a bitch

KCalhoun likes this.
  6. guru

guru

Not sure what you mean. She simply stated the fact.

7. Cuddles

Cuddles

I'm saying that some companies who chose the nationalistic route are gonna be bit hard by the shut down....so it's a self-inflicted wound to do what's "right" rather than what's logical.

8. Sig

Sig

When you can certify that you've never purchased something made in China when a US made alternative exists you can sit on you self righteous high horse and, while still being wrong, at least not be a hypocrite. Until then, how about a nice talk glass of STFU!

Cuddles likes this.
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

2/3 of those companies are feelgood ideas, like chia icecream, I pet your pet, wine in a glass, whatever, etc.

In a recession those go down first. Gwyneth Platrow's Vagina-scented candle used to sell out for $75. I bet you can order a dozen now without problem.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    KCalhoun, guru and Cuddles like this.
  10. rumor she personally 'sat' on the candles for the personal touch (scent )

how many did you buy ?

#10     Apr 1, 2020