Barack Obama furious at General Stanley McChrystal speech on Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drjekyllus, Oct 5, 2009.

1. They ruined McKearnan's career for nothing. McKearnan wanted more troops McChrystal does too. Obama stepped into this one because he wanted some street cred to compete with McCain on national security and he got himself signed up for an escalation of an unwinnable war. Well at least he has not started any new wars so my expectations for Obama have been met.

#11     Oct 5, 2009
  2. I have to agree. I don't like Obama, but it's never a good idea or a good precedent for generals to get the idea they can run around and publicly debate the president.

McChrystal should be fired. Immediately. If he isn't, it makes me wonder if he wasn't part of some White House-orchestrated drama where he would make absurd demands for troops that everyone knows will not be met, and thus give obama cover for the inevitable debacle in afghanistan.

If McChrstal can't execute the president's strategy in good faith, his honorable course of action is to resign, then explain why it's poor policy.

#12     Oct 5, 2009
  3. Isn't it curious that the left had no problem with the airing of all the infighting during the Bush administration, but now it all must be on the QT. Just another example of the double standards that prevail when the radical left calls the shots.

#13     Oct 5, 2009
  4. Infighting?

You mean like in 2003 when General Eric Shinseki who was Bush and Rumsfeld's Army Chief of Staff estimated in front of the US Senate Armed Services Committee that ""something in the order of several hundred thousand soldiers" would probably be required for postwar Iraq?

#14     Oct 5, 2009